[Colorado-Talk] More Written Comments Are Needed for Technology Accessibility Rules

kevan at nfbco.org kevan at nfbco.org
Mon Jan 22 17:34:42 UTC 2024

Submitted!

From: Colorado-Talk <colorado-talk-bounces at nfbnet.org> On Behalf Of Curtis
Chong via Colorado-Talk
Sent: Thursday, January 18, 2024 1:08 PM
To: 'NFB of Colorado Discussion List' <colorado-talk at nfbnet.org>
Cc: Curtis Chong <chong.curtis at gmail.com>
Subject: [Colorado-Talk] More Written Comments Are Needed for Technology
Accessibility Rules

Hello everyone:

As it turns out, we, the public, are still going to be allowed to submit
written (emailed) comments about technology accessibility rules that are
being developed by the Governor's Office of Information Technology (OIT).

It is important that OIT hears from people who are in the blind/disability
community about these technology accessibility rules-rules that have never
before existed in Colorado. I am told that there are lots of comments being
submitted from governmental officials at the local level. There are fewer
comments from advocates and activists in our community. We need to do
something about this.

How Can You Help

Here is what you can do to support our work in this important area.

1.	Send a supportive email to oit_rules at state.co.us
<mailto:oit_rules at state.co.us> .
2.	In the subject, enter "Comments on Technology Accessibility Rules
Draft".
3.	In the body of the email, say that you are in support of the
comments made by the National Federation of the Blind of Colorado about the
proposed rules and that you hope that the final rules reflect the changes
recommended by the Federation.

What is The NFB of Colorado's Position?

1.	Governmental agencies do not need two years in order to comply with
the most recently-published Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG). One
year to comply is a more reasonable timeline.
2.	The rule itself does not need to have an exhaustive list of examples
that might constitute undue burdens for governmental agencies. Such examples
are better listed in a guidance document published outside of the context of
the rule itself.

If you have any questions or concerns about this, please feel free to call
me. My mobile number is 515-306-1654.

Let us not be outnumbered by local government officials who may not be as
strongly committed to accessibility as we are.

Best wishes,

Curtis Chong