[Colorado-Talk] Colorado Secretary of State Issues Notice of Proposed Rulemaking - Elections Rules

kevan nfbco.org kevan at nfbco.org
Tue Mar 19 16:03:36 UTC 2024

I'm on it today. Good catch Curtis.

From: Colorado-Talk <colorado-talk-bounces at nfbnet.org> On Behalf Of Curtis Chong via Colorado-Talk
Sent: Monday, March 18, 2024 11:39 AM
To: colorado-talk at nfbnet.org
Cc: Curtis Chong <chong.curtis at gmail.com>
Subject: [Colorado-Talk] Colorado Secretary of State Issues Notice of Proposed Rulemaking - Elections Rules

Greetings everyone:

The Colorado Secretary of State has issued a notice of proposed rulemaking pertaining to elections in Colorado. Ordinarily, this particular topic would not garner a lot of attention from the blind community.

However, I wish to bring to your attention a provision in the proposed rules which, if adopted, would eliminate the holes that are found on many ballot return envelopes. For example, in Arapahoe County, where I vote, these holes are useful as a nonvisual way to know where voters should place their signatures. I was pleased to learn that work is under way in Arapahoe County to come up with an alternative tactual method that would enable blind voters to know where to affix their signatures.

While many of us are voting using Colorado's accessible online voting system or in person at the polls, I am confident that there are blind people in Colorado who still return their ballots by mail. It would be terrific if Colorado could require all of the counties to put some kind of a tactual indication on the ballot return envelopes that would help nonvisual voters to know where they should sign.

If you are so inclined, please send an email to SoS.Rulemaking at coloradosos.gov<mailto:SoS.Rulemaking at coloradosos.gov> using the subject line "Comments on Proposed Rulemaking - Elections Rules". Here, shown below, is what I just sent in today.

Thank you for your efforts in this matter.

Kindly,

Curtis Chong