[Community-service] Helping out after a natural disaster

Darian Smith dsmithnfb at gmail.com
Mon Apr 25 16:25:01 UTC 2011

Hi Chris,
  This  makes me think of one of the few regrets I have  regarding my
AmeriCorps Service Via the National Civilian Community Corps; never
being called to do disaster work, we had groups that responded to the
flooding in North Decoda, and I never really  woke myself up from
overthinking  long enough to put myself higher up on our  team
disaster ranking board.
 I did some post  disaster work and while alot of that was canvicing
and clean-up and a few months after the fact. I would probably say
that if one has interest, they would  consider contacting   groups or
organizations that are getting involved in the effort. Redcross is
mandated to be a part of any disaster relief effort, so if you can
hook up with a local chapter, that is probably a good thing to do.
they may set up call centers, or have people who are going to help
distributing food and other items.  I would say  that where ever you
go, get a good sense of what they need and jump in with a willingness
to do it.  organizations can't really turn away help if they are
lookging for it ( beggers can't be choosers and all).
    just some thoughts,
  Darian

On 4/25/11, christine-parsons at sbcglobal.net

--
Darian Smith
Skype: The_Blind_Truth
Windows Live: Lightningrod2010 at live.com
Follow me on twitter: http://twitter.com/goldengateace

"The purpose of life is a life of purpose.

— Robert Byrne