[Community-service] Introduction

Darian Smith dsmithnfb at gmail.com
Mon Aug 12 17:08:31 UTC 2013

Hello Minh,
  Welcome to the list!
 My name is Darian Smith, I am the chairperson of the community service group, and my service background comes from a few places, but mainly and most prominently my work and strongest derivative of my passion is from my time in the national Civilian Community  Corps.
 This program is an AmeriCorps program which engages youth ages 18 to 24 in  a structured service program.
 It is a 10 month commitment where you serve  from a base campus and travel across the country to serve at various service locations for two months at a time.  My base campus
  was in Denver Colorado, and I traveled to projects in Boulder Colorado, South Texas, Central Alabama, the Boulder mountains, and did a another  project in the Denver metro area.
 I worked on hiking trails, irrigation ditches, and learned about water ecology (I think you would like that one), I worked on disaster assessments, neighborhood revitalization, construction work, forestry type work, and mentoring at risk youth in a structured summer of service program.
 I learned a great deal, as well as became very interested in taking some of the things I learned from that program and building a national division devoted to teaching and encouraging others to serve their communities. I honestly felt like the best way to educate  our society about buying people is to get blind people to work in the community with  our sighted peers.
 Is much to game, much to learn, and many things that we can take back to the organization, give  to our friends and our families.

 Anyway, thank you for your posts, and I really look forward to hearing more about the things that you are doing and what you are up to.
  Best,
  Darian