[Community-service] new to the group

Julie J. julielj at neb.rr.com
Mon Feb 25 13:07:46 UTC 2013

Hello all!

I just joined a couple of days ago.  I'm Julie, living in Nebraska with
my farmer husband, teenage son and our two dogs, one of which is my
current guide dog.

I currently volunteer with TeamMates, a mentoring program for Middle and
High School youth.  I meet with the young lady I mentor once a week
during lunch at her school.  This is my fourth year volunteering with
this program.

I like the TeamMates program and will probably continue as long as the
young lady would like to have a mentor.  However I am looking for other
volunteering opportunities.  I am specifically thinking of joining a
group or organization that focuses on community service.  I had joined
the Lions club in the past, but found that it wasn't a good fit for me.

I want to be a part of a group with younger members.  I am going to be
40 this year, so I'm not meaning super young! *smile*  Just people
closer to my age.  I want to be a part of a group that doesn't have a
major focus on fund raising, but actual community service projects.  I
also do not want to join a group that is affiliated with a religious
organization of any variety.  and probably the most important thing for
me is that the group must have a really positive attitude.

I know that even within the same organization, each local group is going
to have a bit of a different dynamic.  I'm just not sure what's out
there or where to start looking.  The newspaper has some info, but I
can't find any sort of comprehensive list or contact info on how to get
involved.

I'm hoping the kind folks on this list can give me some ideas of where
to find what I'm looking for.  Also I would be interested to know what
strategies people have used to find community service opportunities that
fit well with their own personal goals and objectives.  I don't want to
go through another bad experience.

all ideas are most welcome!
Julie