[Community-service] Being turned away.

Ashley Bramlett bookwormahb at earthlink.net
Thu Jun 13 01:51:00 UTC 2013

Darian,
Good question. I finally have time to respond.
I have certainly been turned down from community service, although I don't
know if it was all blindness related.
They never came out and said it was but I got the feeling it was.

Two instances. In both cases, I looked for other opportunities.
First was with a nonprofit called Facets. I
went through the hastle they required. This was a background check,
application, interview and orientation.
They actually did my interview later after the orientation because they
thought I already did one but the new coordinator came aborard and they
realized I had not.
I wanted to volunteer in the office doing communications work like producing
press kits and other outreach material or something administrative.

Well, I kept following up with them in phone calls. They took their time
returning my messages. They kept saying they couldn't find things for me to
do. So I stopped trying. Last summer, I volunteered under a new coordinator.
She was open minded and I was going to do front desk work which means I'd
answer the door and let people in.
Well, she suggested some accomodations and was pretty open minded. However,
someone was not. She called me back and said it wasn't a good fit for me but
I was welcome to volunteer in the office doing other work. Well, I took that
opportunity; I helped update their contact list and I did some research
projects and wrote a few articles for their newsletter. I only stopped
because I got an internship.
So the second round at facets I sort of got turned away, but I think the
coordinator really tried to work with me and it wasn't her who prevented me
from working up front. it was someone else I'm sure, probably her boss.

The other time I got turned away was at red cross. Again, I went through the
big process they have: application, interview, background check and a boring
volunteer orientation.
I volunteered at the office a few times. I was stuffing envelopes.
The plan was for me to do office work and help the communications team among
other things.
But then the supervisor kind of ignored me. I was not trained on their
database or shown how to do much of anything. He left it up to the other
office volunteer who tried but she was busy with her own work and I don't
think she knew how to explain much.

Then it ended. He told the other office volunteer to call me and tell me not
to come in because they had nothing for me to do.
This happened two or three times and then I realized that this opportunity
was over.

Now, I'm also looking for volunteer work in an office to gain experience.

More on that later.
Ashley