[Community-service] Being turned away.

KARmedtrans at aol.com KARmedtrans at aol.com
Thu Jun 13 02:40:50 UTC 2013

Darian
I almost had the same problem with volunteering at a  rehabilation facility
but it was a combination of my blindness and guide  dog.  When I did not
like what was and not presented for reasoning I made  sure I had a copy of
service animals in hospital situations and the rights of  the ADA.  I then
requested a meeting with the VP of the hospital, Human  Resources and the
volunteer director.  And since there was a Social Worker  who was causing me
difficulties and giving a wrong presentation of what I was  proposing to perform
I also requested a meeting with that social worker and her  boss.

I first sent an email to the parties involved and sent a copy  of the
material I mentioned the ADA rights and guide dog guidelines.  By  sending a copy
of the material I was giving them ample opportunity to review and  be
prepared for my questions and presentations.

I did get my 2 meetings I requested, received an apology from  the Social
Worker involved, the hospital and administration received an  education about
the skills of a lind person and the ways they could benefit and  open their
eyes to their blindness.

Since that time, my guide dog and I have been volunteered at  this facility
for almost 2 years - still being the first and only guide dog and  blind
person team.  And I also opened the doors and eyes of the regional  facility -
again my guide dog and I are the first and only guide dog  team.

I have learned you must have great belief in yourself and what  your skills
are.  Do your research about the company - know what they  represent -
about the history - the more you know about the business and know  positions and
work involved.  You must present your case very carefully and
professionally.  Me I also let them know that I know what I am capable of  an my rights
and no hesitation to call in the NFB or civil rights attorney about  my
rights according to the ADA being violated.

Try looking for non-profit organizations who are more open to
disabilities.  March for a cause and show that your disability does not  prevent you
from doing what others do.

Hope this a little helps.

Kathy Rawa and Dorito
NJ Voters Rights Liaison representative for HAVA
President South Jersey Shore Chapter of the NFBNJ
Recipient of the Atlantic County, NJ Donald J Sykes Award for  Volunteering
1st and only guide dog volunteer at Bacharach Institute of  Rehabilation
and AtlantiCare Regional Medical Center

In a message dated 6/12/2013 9:51:21 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,