[Community-service] Hello from Mary Ann

Mary Ann Mendez maryann at jmendez.us
Wed Sep 4 16:13:59 UTC 2013

Hi everyone.

I have been a member of this list for the past two months. I have had some
technical issues when sending e-mail to this list. I have since resolved
these, so I thought I would post an introduction.

My name is Mary Ann Mendez, formerly known as Mary Ann Topolewski. I was
married on April 6 to my wonderful husband, Jack. We live in Ruston,
Louisiana while Jack serves as the Director of Technology for the Louisiana
Center for the Blind (LCB). I am working to finish my Bachelor's degree in
Business Communication with an emphasis on communication management from
Jones International University. When December 31 hits, I will officially
have my degree. Yay!

Jack and I left the working world to receive training at LCB in 2011 and
2012. Training changed our lives, and we have discovered the joy of giving
back by using our strengths to help others.

Darian found me a few months ago since a dear friend mentioned to him that I
coordinate Meet the Blind Month activities and events for our Ruston NFB
chapter. Since that three-hour conversation, I have entered into this world
of community service.

I am also delighted to chair this group's conference call workshop and topic
development committee. I have a few ideas to help this group grow, but I
welcome suggestions from our members as well.

I found some treasures that I will be sharing with all of you on this list
in hopes of inspiring ideas for future service projects. We are always
encouraged to contribute if we believe our content will impact those on the
list. I always look forward to reading posts from you when ideas strike.

We all know that October is Meet the Blind Month. I am tossing around the
idea for a conference call about ways to get the chapter involved, how to
fit the right people with the right projects and ways to generate ideas for
service projects during this time. Please feel free to e-mail me offline if
you have an interest in attending this conference call. If there is
interest, I will schedule the call to occur in the next couple of weeks.

Sincerely,

Mary Ann Mendez

E-mail: maryann at jmendez.us