[Community-service] Discussion Starter.

Graham Mehl gmehl at verizon.net
Fri Dec 5 12:04:45 UTC 2014

Darian and group,

It was a no brainer for me to join the group. Performing acts of service is
a part of my being and a matter that I am passionate about. I started
serving my local community when I was in the Cub Scouts at age 10.  And of
course transitioned to Boy Scouts. It did not stop when I got my Eagle Scout
award. I went to college and became a member of a service organization. I
participated in numerous activities, but the only ones I can remember are
being a an adult troop leader for a boy scout troop that was composed of
members who were disabled, habitat for humanity, and making candles for and
ushering at a Christmas Vespers service.I did not let leaving academia slow
me down for performing community service. When I learned my company had a
rather large community service group that was spread out across the country,
I joined immediately. I helped with running of blood drives as well as
participating in them. I performed over 600 hours of service with Habitat
for Humanity within 3 years. I participated and helped lead a team in many
run/ walk charity events. I participated in JDRF events. I was involved with
Light the night events. Lead a team for a St. Judes Radio-a-thon,
participated in and organized charity summer cookouts. I helped organize
numerous donation collections including canned food and school supplies. I
was a member of the volunteer organization for my company that had a
membership of over 800 members for five years. For the last 10 years I have
coordinated the adopt-a-family program within my company, where we have
adopted up to 22 families over 6 different counties. And I have done a bit
of volunteering at and with my church. So as you can see community service
is not a foreign thing to me. So since I am a NFB member, why not join the
NFB community service Interest and Division group. And who knows maybe I
would / could / will get fresh ideas and new resources. And while at it get
to know some other people who are blind and enjoy community service too.

--

Graham

"I will lead the blind by ways they have not known, along unfamiliar paths I
will guide them;  I will turn the darkness into light before them and make
the rough places smooth.  These are the things I will do; I will not forsake
them." -- Isaiah 42:16