[Community-service] getting steered away from a service opportunity.

Darian Smith dsmithnfb at gmail.com
Tue Feb 11 08:15:19 UTC 2014

Hi all,

 I recently was  told about volunteer/ service opportunities at the local botanical garden. one that particularly interested me was one of a children’s docent.  When I asked about the position, i was told that  it would be difficult because you can’t touch the flowers, and the children are going to have questions about the particular  plants they find.  Also  that one needs to keep up with the children, and they will be running around, that you have to basically Herd them around.
 Basically, I was told of all of the ways that I could not do the job.
  how would you  devise non-visual ways to  do the job?  how would you approach a volunteerr coordinator when they present  these challenges?

 Thanks in advance,
   Darian