[Community-service] volunteers at cleveland sight center

Ashley Bramlett bookwormahb at earthlink.net
Tue Feb 25 03:17:43 UTC 2014

Cheryl,
Thanks for this info. That is great you were accepted by the domestic
violence agency easily. Do you lead groups there, or what?

About the center, its good to know they have blind and sighted volunteers
and staff at the camp.
I'm impressed with the variety of things there. Adult camp? Really? How long
is each adult camp?

Wow, I am very impressed with your ideas. Can you tell a little more? I
might suggest this to Columbia lighthouse for the blind. I really, really,
like your ideas of partnering with law enforcement and health care
facilities to raise awareness and providing
support to women.
The quote I refer to is this.

"We advocated for a healthy relationship workshops at csc for women,
this lasted 6 weeks. We are in the process of planning a collaboration
with law enforcement, health care facilities, csc and domestiviolence
agency. Wanting to promote awareness, how to talk to a blind person,
where are shelters and are they prepared for us, proper reporting.
This would include educating the blind community that there are safe
places for us and how to ask for what is available. It is a exhaustive
process but I am determined to see it through. Ultimately we are
hoping a support group for persons with disabilities will come from
this, our deaf community in Cleveland is participating in a study with
law enforcement concerning domestic violence."

What topics are in your  healthy relationships workshops?
When you say proper reporting, do you mean report domestic violence issues
to the right authorities?
What are you doing with health care facilities? By this, do you mean nursing
and assistive living facilities, or more like hospitals?

While your partnering with law enforcement, I also suggest having the police
teach you all about crime prevention, the difference between using 911
properly and non emergency numbers, and how to prevent identity theft. Also,
I think CSC and other blindness nonprofits
should bring in people to teach some self defense.

How often are you volunteering? This sounds like a lot! I'm glad you enjoy
it.

Ashley