[Community-service] volunteers at cleveland sight center

Cheryl Fields cherylelaine1957 at gmail.com
Tue Feb 25 17:00:12 UTC 2014

Ashley,

Domestic Violence is a broad topic. I don't know if I can keep it
short, but here goes! Most large cities have an agency, maybe several
that deal with issues surrounding abuse. Children are protected by law
in a different way. If a healthcare professional, educator, social
worker, or Joe citzen suspects or witness abuse they must report it
and the children's service agency must investigate. However with
adults it is a little different. Knowledge of abuse needs to be
reported to authorities by the indibidual.

1. Health care professional, at doctors appointments or in emergency
rooms. Some major hospital systems have nurses with this expertise,
sane sexual assault nurse examiner, they are specially trained for
abuse cases. If someone requires medical treatment related to abuse,
they should request a sane professional. However every facility does
not staff them. It is important to identify where they are and go to
those facilities when abuse occurs. After the person has established
this connection, the nurse and their staff are a wealth of
information. They will not force anyone to report the crime but can
explain all options and offer support. There are some health care
facilities that offer a safe secure room for 24 hours when necessary.

2. Domestic Violence Agencies, offer avariety of services or have
information on where the resources are located. For instance, support
groups, individual counseling, providing a advocate for navigating the
leagle system, counseling for children that witness violence, shelter
and assistance with relocation. Some may offer safe places for
visitation with children.

3. Law Enforcement, this is sticky. When a violent act is perpertrated
against someone, the person must report it for several reasons.
Justice should be served, safety prevention of person repeating crime
again, and for statistical purposes. Funding for specific groups is
determined by how often a particular crime is reported and prosecuted.
In Ohio if you report a crime, the state will prosecute the accused,
you cannot change your mind. It is always better if the victim
cooperates but if they are not willing the perpertrator is still
prosecuted. Reporting gives victims the choice of receiving an order
of protection. One of the most startling statistics is, most women
leave their perpertrator 7 times before calling in law enforcement.
Every woman does not fit this mold it ranges from,  reporting the
first time it happens to it ending because the person was killed.
Now this is the short version, can you imagine being blind and
navigating these systems? Nightmarish for anyone, but is you are blind
it really becomes complicated. Planning a escape is tricky, because we
need assistance and the person must maintain confidentiallty, be
available, and non judgemental. It is also very dangerous for everyone
involved. This is problematical so, my thought is for us, the blind,
to investigat what is available in each area. Evaluate it, dialogue
with the various agencies on how they can best help us and how we can
assist them. Crearte a resource list and recruit those of us that want
to volunteer with appropriate agencies, creating partnerships before
another blind person attempts to navigate these systems alone and
becomes overwhelmed, hopeless and decides to quit. Maybe forcing them
back into the same situation, which will only escalate over time.
People with disabilities rarely report domestic violence. Why? because
the perpertrator has usually taken over every aspect of their lives
and it is overwhelming to untangle, the dependency is so strong the
victim may not acknowledge that they are a victim!

Healthy Relationship Workshop, these classes identified what is
domestic violence/partner abuse, reinforced that it is not your fault
, covered ptsd, where to go for help, talked abut personalities of
perpertrators, explained why this is a crime and how to navigate the
system. There was literature and videos it was basic education on
domestic abuse.

My role as a volunteer, I attended the volunteer training and assist
with nertworking in the faith community. Connecting congregations to
the agency for awareness and education, staff resource tables in the
community , support financially and offer support when asked by a
individual. You should check out your agency before making a
presentation. Questions to ask are, have you ever had a blind person
in your shelter? How did you meet their unique needs? When a blind
person reports the crime, how do you take their statement, who assists
them, is their anyone to guide them through the leagle process? If not
where can they go for help? Are the shelters for domestic violence
only, or are there substance abuse and homeless persons in the
facility with them? What hospitals offer safe space and sane nurses?
How does your doctor handle patients that report abuse to them? Is
there an excape plan for someone with no sight, dependent on others
for transportation?
The list builds as the conversations grow. Do your homework first,
then ask yourself what is the goal and go from there. You may want to
divide up the tasks with other interested blind folks, they should
really be interested because this is not for the faint of heart,
smiles. Good Luck, there is a lot of resistance to this subject. I
will post something similar to this on Ohio Talk at the end of the
week, we are going on a state wide fact finding mission. After this we
can evaluate and decide how to tackle problems and situations to
enhance services that are already available to meet our needs.  A few
years ago, we did a few cold calls survey of agencies that provide
services for the blind across the country, asking if they are aware of
violent crimes within the population, how they handle it and are there
domestic violence facilities in the area prepared for blind people.
Only 1 out of about 20 admitted that they had knowledge of abuse among
the clients they served. Most told us there was no abuse in the adult
blind community. Amazing!

Blessings,

Cheryl