[Community-service] Alternative spring breaks

Darian dsmithnfb at gmail.com
Tue Mar 18 21:23:30 UTC 2014

Hi Chris,
Thank you for sharing this.
I love the concept of alternative spring breaks because it allows people to serve with a group of people in and communal environment in a team setting in an area which may not be familiar to everyone because it's mostly nowhere near where you typically go to school or live.
I've never done one before, but I almost did recently. I came across an opportunity to go to central America and build houses. Had it not been for the fact that it was so short notice, I would have jumped at the opportunity
Being in a new area with new people and learning new skills just makes it impossible for you not to gain something. Isn't that why we are here on this planet? To learn? And to give?
I nearly signed up to do an alternative spring break in central America. The only reason why didn't was because I was not able to raise the money on such short notice.
I felt like you normally don't get an opportunity to go overseas very often and though I'm not the biggest fan of flying, I felt that I just had to do it.
If this group is a division and significantly grows I can see the division sponsoring an alternative spring break for blind youth. Or anyone who has the time and wants to do it.

This electronic message has been brought to you by my mobile device.