[Community-service] Seeking Input.

Justin McDevitt jusliz at comcast.net
Wed Nov 5 19:16:32 UTC 2014

Hello to NFB Community Service Division Members:

I am working on an opportunity here in the Twin Cities with the Minnesota
Reading Corp to participate in their Literacy Tutor program: a year-long
commitment funded through AmeriCorps.

A requirement of the Literacy tutor involves Duet Reading whereby the
student and I would need to be reading the same document in order to address
specific tracking issues. This would mean that the specific document would
incorporate both braille and print text on the same page.

I understand that the purpose of Duet reading is to more directly track
letter and word identification. However, my concern is that the student and
I will not be able to read the document at the same time because my fingers
will obscure the print text, though this could be minimized depending how
the print and braille test is positioned on the page. .

I would like to hear from any list members who have participated in this
specific type of program/setting to find out how they handled this
situation. Was Duet Reading a requirement? If so, did you adhere to this
protocol, or did you address the tracking issue with a different
accommodation?

I would appreciate and value your input/guidance. Please also feel free to
contact me off list       : jusliz at comcast.net.

Best Regards,

Justin McDevitt