[Community-service] What would you like to see from the community service division?

Darian Smith dsmithnfb at gmail.com
Sun Feb 15 21:05:06 UTC 2015

Hello,
  By Now I am sure that many of you are well aware of the goals of the Community Service Division of the National Federation of the Blind.
 You know that what we aim to do  in essence is to  leverage  the philosophy of the national federation of the blind, the love we have for all blind people, the hope we hold  for the future we wish to have and the determination we possess to see our dreams come to reality.  We also seek to leverage the  concept of community service (in particular direct/impact service) in bringing about positive change for blind people across the country.
 As you know, we  have in the federation played a vital role in  shaping what rehabilitation for the blind looks like in the form of the kind and quality of skills and training blind people receive. The alternative  techniques and the belief that it is respectable to be blind are things that have  empowered many blind people for many years.
  The  Community Service movement  holds the belief  that our countries most pressing problems can be solved with the willingness to reach beyond ourselves and engage  ourselves in the  communities in which we live.  that through the volunteer service we render to others, we learn more about ourselves, the communities we we serve and the problems they face. We gain skills, connections and  a sense of personal and spiritual fulfillment.  As members of this division,
  We  believe that in so doing we can show the true capacity of blind people as people who care about the world around them and contribute to society.
 personally, I think this to be   particularly powerful because of the number of people who believe that blind people have so many things to be fearful and preoccupied with  that they could never be expected to think of anything other than themselves (we are very much to   absorbed in our little   world to care about much else).
 So, the question I I want to ask you all is  what do you  envision   for this Division? what types of things would you like to see the division do?
  Thanks so much!
  Darian .