[Community-service] Guide Dogs and volunteerism

Julie McGinnity kaybaycar at gmail.com
Sun Mar 22 00:33:50 UTC 2015

Hi Darian,

Yes, I have volunteered for various things in my time as a guide dog
user.  I think for each person it will be different.  Depend on the
nature of the work and the personality of your dog, you may choose to
bring your dog to some activities and not others.  I'll be a little
clearer.

My first dog is happy to be left on her own.  She never minded being
put in one spot while I moved things, carried things, or participated
in an activity without her.  I even think she preferred it sometimes.
:)  But when I chose to use her while doing a community service
activity, we worked well together.  I remember one event we worked was
a toy drive.  She and I did a great job flying around the office
collecting toys and sorting them.  Well, she didn't sort them, but the
flow of the sentence worked better the way I have it.

My current dog...  well, it would be easier and more convenient for me
to leave him in his crate at home or in an office by himself if I must
be away from him in a room doing some sort of manual labor.  He
doesn't do well if he can see me but not interact with me.

Of course, I have taken volunteer performing, receptionist, and
teaching jobs.  I had no problems with my guide dog in those
positions.  But in situations that require building (someone correct
me if I am wrong because I don't know a hammer from a wrench and
shouldn't be given either,) I find it easier to bring the cane.  It's
one less thing to look out for.  And you can bet that sighted people
will be more concerned about you being there in the first place than
simply learning to use their voices so that you always know where they
are.

Our chapter is currently working with a food bank on their policies
concerning service animals.  There are policies that come from health
departments that will bann service animals from facilities where the
general public is not allowed if food is being prepared.  But I would
recommend that you get such policies in writing and refuse to take
excuses.

I think that's all I've got!

--
Julie McGinnity
National Federation of the Blind performing arts division secretary,