[Community-service] Guide Dogs and volunteerism

Greg Aikens gpaikens at gmail.com
Mon Mar 23 00:38:09 UTC 2015

I am also a dog user and have participated in many kinds of service. I agree with Julie’s explanation. Just as there are some activities I don’t take my dog too, e.g. loud concerts, sporting events with fireworks, the gym, there are service projects that I take my dog and some I decide its better to give him the morning or afternoon off. This will vary greatly between dogs and handlers.

I did more community service with my first guide than with my current one. Examples of activities I usually took my guide to include after school tutoring, big brothers/big sisters events, card night at a nursing home, making meals at the Ronald McDonald house, and sorting donations at a food bank. During these activities he sat quietly at my feet and aside from some curious kids, people forgot he was there. Service activities that I generally did not bring my dog to included spending the night at the homeless shelter and serving dinner/breakfast, doing a dog wash event with the humane society, doing any kind of yard work, and events where we did a lot of cleaning. I was more likely to leave my guide at home if I was going to need to be using both my hands and moving around a lot. The kitchen at the homeless shelter was pretty tight and not the best space to bring a dog. I found it easier to do yard work without having to keep up with my dog, making sure he wasn’t in the way of anyone etc. I guess that if it were the kind of activity that was not convenient to have my dog at my feet all the time, I would rather let him stay home than tie him up somewhere nearby and wonder if he was anxious or if others were interacting with him inappropriately.

Best,
Greg