[Community-service] discussion starter

Darian Smith dsmithnfb at gmail.com
Sat Nov 21 01:35:43 UTC 2015

on a local level I think that encouraging community service is absolutely essential because that is where we can truly make the change in our communities and show our sighted peers that the capable blind person is very real and much more than a thing we like to talk about
   in local chapters we can find  great opportunities to be a part of       .   things like days of service, or volunteer in a food bank.
 one option for finding opportunities is  the hangs on network: http://www.handsonnetwork.org <http://www.handsonnetwork.org/>.
  Why we serve is something which I think is a pretty personal  thing.  What I can say is that as citizens in our communities we should certainly serve and as members of the federation we should avail ourselves of the opportunity to serve so that we can show others that blindness is only a characteristic and not a defining one.  We can also serve to tell those we serve with of this organization that we are so proud to be a part of in the National Federation of the Blind.

 I do hear that there is a texas community service committee.  How is progressing? what are you all doing?  I am very interested to hear about this from you, Yolanda.
  Best,
 Darian