[Community-service] (no subject)

annajee82 at gmail.com annajee82 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 23 17:51:36 UTC 2015

Thanks Darian for the email.  It is good to start discussions!
I don't know how I found out about the list, I think you told me about it at some convention or something.  But not really sure...

As for the second question.  Well I have been pretty inactive lately in the division and the list with unexpected life happenings and such getting in the way.  But I do read what is on here, and am at a point where I can come back here now.  What I am interested to see is what people are doing and how they do it as a blind person.  For me personally, I am still in the process of figuring out how to integrate activity with a group of sighted people.  One thing I have come across in doing volunteer or service projects is that people go about doing their own thing and I am not sure where to ask for help.  If things are not accessible to me as a blind person, which they tend not to be, then I need someone who can see, but the sighted people have their own jobs to do, so is it ok to pull them away from what they're doing?  This is an issue I am unclear on.  It is different in an employment situation where there are requirements as far as accomodationsand such.  I don't think this is the case for volunteer work, so what do we do?

I would love some discussion on this.

Also, I look on the list to see what direction the division is going in and just to see how active it is.
I wonder if you can post the mission and or goals of this division again.  I think it is always good to refresh people's minds on the true focus of the work.  And for people newer to the division may help clarify.

Just my thoughts.

Anna E Givens

Hi fellow listers,

 figured that sense I noticed the list has been pretty quiet for a while, that it would be a good idea to see if I  could help to liven things up a bit.
 our list has a good number of folks on it.  I would  suspect that many of us learned about the list via a friend, or the division meetings, or by any number of different means.
I also would  imagine that  everyone has a reason for hanging out on the list (want to learn something, want to give something, etc).
 So I have two questions for your:
1. how?d you hear about the list?
2. what is it that you want to find out from other members of the list? something you want to see the division do? something you would like to do?
 Thanks so much and I look forward to what you all have to say!
 Darian