[Community-service] December Service Snippets

Darian Smith president at nfbcommunityservice.org
Tue Dec 6 04:56:38 UTC 2016

Happy December!

 We hope you had a wonderful thanksgiving with friends and family, and took a bit of time giving back to your community!
  On that note, I want to Start off the December addition of “Service Snippets: with an update from Tara Abella and the “Service Awards and “Letters for troops efforts.
 The community service award project is still awaiting members. So far, we have six individuals who have sent in hours, and I would preferred to have 10 individuals before beginning the program. The letters for troops project is underway. Letters are due by December 16, so we have two weeks left before letters need to be turned in.
 Contact her at service awards at nfbcommunityservice.org.

 From Website/Blog chair Chris Parsons:
 Web Site/Blog
This month, I posted an entry with Kyra Sweeney’s reflections on the division’s service project with Habitat for Humanity of Greater Orlando at this year’s National Convention. In the coming weeks, be on the lookout for another entry with reflections from even more participants in the project, as well as some other exciting entries from fellow division members doing community service. If you haven’t checked out the blog yet, we invite you to do so at http://www.nfbcommunityservice.org/blog <http://www.nfbcommunityservice.org/blog>. If you have any ideas for entries you’d like to see on the blog or if you’d like to write one yourself, send me an e-mail at blog at nfbcommunityservice.org <mailto:blog at nfbcommunityservice.org>.

	 From the Membership Committee,  Kyra Sweeney Reports:

  In November, the membership committee worked on planning the division's next conference calls. These will include a discussion about  participating in community service as a guide dog user (which will be the second call in our #What'sInItForYou series), and a call about NFB scholarrships and service. We finalized a feedback survey, which will be sent out soon.
The next membership committee meeting will take place on Monday, December 12th at 8 PM eastern. All are more than welcome to join.

Finally we will hear from Ronnie Bellomy and the Outreach Committee:

> The outreach committee has been busy thinking about how to reach out to the youth organization that are on our collaborated list first on the local level and second on the National level. This committee will approach reaching out to organizations in the Florida area for convention after the beginning of this next year.
>
> Furthermore, the outreach committee has established a list of all 50 flag Universities and has gathered contact information for both the disability offices and community service offices for each of those universities for our scholarship call in the middle of January.  The committee plans to begin contacting each office to spread the word to their students at the beginning of January.
>
> If any of you who are not currently on a committee are interested in either of these two projects or have ideas, the outreach committee welcomes you to attend our next conference call.

 As always, please feel free to reach out should you have any questions, thoughts or concerns.

 All best,
  Darian

Darian Smith
President, National Federation  of the Blind Community Service Division

Web: www.nfbcommunityservice.org

Twitter: @NFB_CSD, at goldengateace

Facebook: www.facebook.com/CommunityServiceDivision"

E-mail: president at nfbcommunityservice.org <mailto:president at nfbcommunityservice.org>

(415)215-9809

blindness is not what holds you back.
 “We need your service, right now, at this moment - our moment - in history. I'm not going to tell you what your role should be; that's for you to discover. But I am going to ask you to play your part; ask you to stand up; ask you to put your foot firmly into the current of history” — Barack Obama
 Help drive change for the blind .
Donate your car to the National Federation of the Blind today!
For more information, please visit: www.carshelpingtheblind.org <http://www.carshelpingtheblind.org/> or call 1-855-659-9314
“