[Community-service] Discussion starter

Miranda knownoflove at gmail.com
Mon Apr 24 20:24:09 UTC 2017

Hi,
I believe that community service should benefit others, no matter whether they have a disability or not. For instance, I am visually impaired, but I take the opportunity to volunteer in my local community in a variety of roles that have nothing to do with blindness or disability. In fact, I do not typically hold any volunteer positions related directly to visual impairment or disability as a whole, as this is not the only area of service that I am passionate about. I believe that limiting oneself to volunteering within the disabled community (unless you have your own personal reasons as to why you do so) is just that, limiting. Society already places us in the blindness or disabled box, so why should we help to continue this stereo typical trend? It is my belief that we are just as capable of volunteering outside the disability community as we are volunteering within it.
Thanks for starting this discussion, and have a wonderful week!

Best wishes, Miranda

Sent from my iPhone