[Community-service] Blindness, braille, community service

Nella Foster jellybeanfarm at gmail.com
Wed Jan 4 18:31:04 UTC 2017

Many moons ago when I was in college an employee from facility management asked me to please check out the Braille signage in a recently renovated building.  I went to the building and looked everywhere for the signs.  I looked on the door, to the right of the door and to the left, but could not find them anywhere.  I contacted this gentleman and told him I was unable to locate any Braille signage.  He said they are over the doors, beside the print number.  I asked how did he expect me to reach them. Lol

He was very embarrassed and they did fix the problem.

Another time I was staying in a hotel and realized they had mixed up the 4th and 6th floor signs.  All the room numbers were correct, but the floor numbers were wrong.  I nicely pointed out the issue to management and they sent a supervisor around with me, so I could show them what was wrong.  I never got to go back to that hotel to see if they fixed the problem.

I've also volunteered to teach Braille to several people over the years.  I love seeing people learning and figuring out how to read again.

Nella