[Community-service] Discussion Starter

Danielle Ledet singingmywayin at gmail.com
Sun Mar 12 15:07:27 UTC 2017

Darian what is it with you? Everytime I am about to unsub, you come up
with a reason for me to stay and talk!

So I walked into the Gables Apartments at LCB when I was 17 years old.
Without going into too much detail I was having fun but I got homesick
and wanted to call it quits after a couple of weeks. The people were
new with the except of 2 other people so having grade school buddies
there was a good thing for me. I had Nicole Soileau for a roommate and
she introduced me to another community engagement outside of the NFB
which I enjoyed partaking in and did with her thru high school! I also
had Jamie Lejeune for a counselor, and anybody who knows Jamie knows
you're gonna have fun and especially if you have trepidations to
overcome! She was strict, but also understanding and empathetic, and I
needed that. All the classes were exciting with the exception of
Travel! Thank God Roland Allen was my Travel teacher! But I was really
sold and dedicated after I got my first ever real job and more so
after the National Convention! And I can't forget our cool, very cool
driver to and from work! Angela Wright. Oh they put me to work at
Convention too! I like to be busy so that was great for me! Once I
came home I wanted to do everything I learned at the Center including
taking notes with the slate and stylus! I wasn't fast but I found I
was decent. Although my resource teachers probably did not think it
was a good idea they supported me. Although I did not keep that
practice, I stuck with the Federation! Thanks for asking!

On 3/12/17, President, National Federation of the Blind Community
Service Division via Community-Service <community-service at nfbnet.org>
wrote:
>  Good Morning,
>
>  As you know, The National Federation of the Blind is undertaking a
> membership drive which is taking on different forms. one of them is to share
> your story of why you joined the federation.
>  I thought it might be fun, and educational to see why we all on this list
> joined the  NFB?
>
>  Remember that there is no  “good” or “bad” answer, there are just  personal
> experiences that hold a special meaning to you.
>

> Darian Smith
> President, National Federation  of the Blind Community Service Division
>
> Web: www.nfbcommunityservice.org
>
> Twitter: @NFB_CSD, at goldengateace
>
> Facebook: www.facebook.com/CommunityServiceDivision"
>
> E-mail: president at nfbcommunityservice.org
> <mailto:president at nfbcommunityservice.org>
>
> (415)215-9809

> blindness is not what holds you back.
>  “We need your service, right now, at this moment - our moment - in history.
> I'm not going to tell you what your role should be; that's for you to
> discover. But I am going to ask you to play your part; ask you to stand up;
> ask you to put your foot firmly into the current of history” — Barack Obama
>
>  Help drive change for the blind .
> Donate your car to the National Federation of the Blind today!
> For more information, please visit: www.carshelpingtheblind.org
> <http://www.carshelpingtheblind.org/> or call 1-855-659-9314

have been all of these.
George Washington Carver