[Community-service] Alternative techniques, community service and their connection

Ashley Bramlett bookwormahb at earthlink.net
Fri Jun 22 16:13:57 UTC 2018

Hello,

Good question. I think that phrase speaks to doing things differently often
using our other senses. Using my white cane and braille are techniques that
I use my sense of touch for rather than vision. Its as good a technique as
vision is since we can and do accomplish the same task.
I've found though that some volunteer tasks require no adaptations or as
NFB would call it, alternative techniques.
I simply use my hearing like everyone else. For instance, socializing with
youth, being there for them and showing kindness requires no adaptation.
Similarly, some games  require no alternative techniques. Playing games with
kids or adults may not require  alternative techniques. For instance,
playing Mother May I, telephone message, or duck duck goose

ashley