[Community-service] 9/11 service project

Ericka dotwriter1 at gmail.com
Mon Sep 10 03:39:40 UTC 2018

As some of you may know much of WI has had ongoing torrential rains creating unprecedented flooding. Finally we are drying out. In keeping with the serice thread, here is my story.

Today I served with my church. Through Lutherans United Assisting Disasters my church helped a lady and her elderly mom move things out of their recently flooded home here in Mazomanie WI. Active listening is so much a part of relief work! We helped carry boxes to vehicles and then transported them to their storage shed a few miles away. Yes, i carried items with cane in hand, but the story of how God sent  the daughter to her mom in early stages of dementia a week before the flooding was more moving than the act of physical help. She had such a faith and so appreciative that we listened. There are so many unseen needs we are going to be able to meet because we allowed her to speak.  In the middle of disastet, it seemed like my cane was nothing impotant. She was so grateful i was there to talk with. I am glad i setved and am now trained through this organization to serve again!

Ericka Short