[Community-service] What is Virtual Volunteering?

Starry Sky Starry_sky at live.com
Sun Mar 24 22:38:09 UTC 2019

Since I was the one who mentioned "virtual volunteering", I will give it a go at explaining it.  The term basically refers to the location where you are performing the work where you are not physically in the same place as the organization that you are volunteering for or where the recipients are.  Basically, volunteering virtually means you could be performing the volunteer work at home, at the library, on a beach in Aruba, on top of the Eiffel Tower, or anywhere in between depending on the flexibility of the project.

I suggested this to the person who posted a desire for community service but live in a remote area with limited transportation options so that she can explore options that do not require her to be physically present.  In my post, I provided a list of options that include technology as well as non-technology virtual volunteering opportunities.

Hope this helps~