[Community-Service] “WE DO IT BIGGER & BETTER!” NFB Community Service Challenge Accepted!

Jeanetta Price price.jeanetta at gmail.com
Tue Jul 14 14:31:27 UTC 2020

Miranda Borka, is a lifesaver who is changing the world one service at a
time! Miranda utilized this pandemic as an opportunity to give back and her
service will live forever. With love, hope and determination, Miranda
continues to serve as a beam of light for others during challenging times
in their lives.

                                       Miranda’s Refection

Crisis Intervention with Crisis Text Line

March 2020 – Present

Training and Support Reflection

As a volunteer crisis counselor, I received 30 hours of training. My
experience with the training platform as someone who is visually impaired
and uses assistive technology was pretty positive. In the areas where the
technology did not cooperate, I utilized Aira at a free Aira free access
location to complete those inaccessible portions of training. Overall, the
training was comprehensive. The support I have received prior to, during,
and following my training has been top-notch. My coach is always available
to answer questions when I am not actively engaging with texters on the
platform. My fellow crisis counselors and supervisors have also been a
welcoming wealth of knowledge and support on the platform as well.
Supervisors are mental health professionals, and as someone pursuing
my master’s
in social work, this encourages me as I enter the profession. There are
numerous tools and resources that are updated frequently to further aid
crisis counselors in engaging our texters. Crisis counselors are encouraged
and motivated to grow, and organizational leadership has been receptive to
making necessary changes to embrace overall growth and development.

Thanks for unleashing your superhero powers for the good of the people. You
utilized this pandemic as an opportunity to serve. You are a superhero!

“ I can’t let that stop me from helping the people that need my help. And
doing the good that I can do. And you could do a lot of good too. You’re
part of my family now. And all heroes are welcome.”

--
Jeanetta Price, BSW, M. Ed.
Independent Home Screening Assessor
Email: price.jeanetta at gmail.com