[Community-Service] Hi Darian,RE: The Nature of Independence

Darian Smith dsmithnfb at gmail.com
Sun May 31 16:09:49 UTC 2020

Jamelle,
 Thank you for sharing your experience.
 Several years ago when I was in training, I experienced the same emphasis on the use of the long white cane and the discouragement of using sighted guide when traveling.
 As I was taught  during my training and came to understand personally after my training, what I was being taught was foundational skills.
This extended to learning braille  and  to other subject areas in the training center  environment, and the idea  was that a person who has these foundational  skills in blindness has more choices.
 AT the end of the day, as Dr. Jernigan says it is about making choices.
 If, for example, you choose not to read or write in braille, that is your decision.  If you  choose to read or write in braille that is also your  decision.
If you make the decision based upon the concern that people might treat you  differently or you believe that it may be too hard to learn, that   decision is yours as well. However, that type of decision is different than having the skill  and  choosing not to use it because it is faster for you to read with speech or use the remaining vision you have, but you  do use braille for labeling the items in your kitchen or jotting down a quick note.
In one example you do not possess  the skill so you  don’t have it  to go  to if you need it where  in the other you have the skill but you just don’t use it all the time though you have the option to if you want or need.
 The skills we talk about and believe in in the federation are tools, like the cookware in your kitchen or the clothing in your closet.  they can be useful in  certain situations.
 Take travel, I choose to travel with  a cane. There are times where I decide, when walking with someone to  hold on to their arm, and there are times when I decide to follow them.
 There are times when asking for directions I get verbal directions from a person and if they happen to offer to take me to the destination, I might politely decline the assistance and then head off my way. There are other times when I might ask for directions and if they do not seem clear and the person offers to help me get to where I need to be that I might accept the help.
 Personally   I feel good enough about my skills to be able to make the choice that fits my wants or needs in the given situation in that scenario. The next person might be more comfortable than I or less so.

 As knowledge is  power, as is the  possession of good blindness skills because they give us the power to  exercise our independence. At the end of the day if we can, with the tools we have go where  we want, when we want without troubling ourselves or other people  in the process of the whole thing, then we have reached   independence.
 As it relates to community service, if we can decide to take  on whatever  community service activity speaks to our interests or passions regardless of our level of vision and we have skills we can use and resources in the federation to leverage, we then can get involved in whatever way we find is most  meaningful  and blindness is not the thing that holds us back.
I look forward to your thoughts.  .  .