[Community-Service] Challenge Accepted, #2

Maggie Stringer ravensfan784 at gmail.com
Sun Jul 4 20:32:28 UTC 2021

No mask can hide her service!

A purpose to serve in the midst of a global rainstorm was calling Sacheen’s
name. She became a ray of sunshine to many and was an inspiration to
thousands more!

“My name is Sacheen Smith and it was important to me, to help my community
during these unpredictable times. The Navajo Nation which is my tribe, was
immensely impacted by the Corona virus and the ever-growing pandemic. A
great number of my family members got the Covid-19 virus and like so many
others, we lost one too many of them. My mom and I were disheartened by the
sacrifices and struggles impacting our world, but especially the Navajo
Nation. So, we rolled up our sleeves and started sewing homemade face
masks. It was challenging at times because we only had one sewing machine.
My mom being an elder could only sit for so long. I asked her to teach me
how to sew so I could take over. Time being of the essence, I learned very
quickly! Our face masks became a hit. We designed them using two layers of
cotton fabric and a third layer of flannel. We included a pocket for those
who wanted extra protection. We washed all the masks, ironed them and
individually wrapped them for a sterile and easy distribution for the
Chapter Houses. A project that started between my Mom and I grew into this
beautiful circle of community support. Our friends and family began
donating fabric, bias tape, and thread to help us continue our sewing
endeavors. Word continued to spread about my homemade face masks and I
ended up being interviewed by our local news station, Action 7 News, Koat!
I received even more requests from Navajo families and continued to work. I
not only served the Navajo Nation, I also designed face masks for the
Coyote Canyon Rehabilitation Center, Manuelito Children's Home, and the
Albuquerque Indian Center. I can not imagine what we could have done if we
had a second sewing machine!”

Here is the link to her televised interview:

https://www.koat.com/article/local-woman-who-has-blindness-makes-masks-for-navajo-nation/32635024

#NFB21

#COMMUNITYSERVICEDIVISION

#STRONGERTOGETHER

Maggie Stringer
Phone: (443) 750-0070
Email: ravensfan784 at gmail.com
Community Service Facebook Page
<https://www.facebook.com/CommunityServiceDivision/>
NFB Website <http://www.nfb.org>
NFB Ohio Website <http://www.nfbohio.org>
“The difference between ordinary and extraordinary is that little extra."