[Community-Service] When faced with a challenge, look for a way, not a way out. #StrongerTogether

Jeanetta price price.jeanetta at gmail.com
Tue Jul 6 12:36:46 UTC 2021

OMG!! Come again! #ChallengeAccepted 🎉🎉🎉
'Tis the season to POP in service!
Susan & Ronald Bellimer AKA Mrs. Claus and Santa is checking their list of community service.
⬇️⬇️⬇️⬇️⬇️⬇️⬇️⬇️⬇️
January 21, 25, 26. 27, 28
February 5, 8, 10, 18, 22, 23, 25
March 1, 8, 10, 11, 12, 17, 22, 25, 26, 30
April 2, 8, 14, 28, 29, 30
May 14, 18, 20, 28
June 3, 14, 15, 18, 22, 23

Bellumer’s reflection

We worked on our own to deliver USDA Farm to Family food boxes, and now Vermont Foodbanks VT Full Plate food boxes to familes.

Fa-la-la-la-la, la-la-la-la

In addition, we went to distribution locations in 10 of Vermont's 14 counties, depending on where we needed to go on a particular day. We would arrive at the site, give the names of the individual registered, and the volunteers would load the boxes & extras into our car. From there we would deliver the food to each family. We spent on average 3 hours delivering each day and having a quick chat to make sure things were okay. Alot of time in the car but worth it.

Fa-la-la-la-la, la-la-la-la

Seeing the smiles on people's faces when we delivered the food to their door and being thanked. During one of our deliveries the 8 year son came to the door and said, " Thank you! Because of you we don't have to go to the store as much." This is a family of 5 who do not qualify for food stamps, their income is the wife's disability and part time job.

Fa-la-la-la-la, la-la-la-la

The registration process wasn't the easiest. The information they wanted changed in June, but I just switched what device I used. The majority of the people we pick up food boxes for wouldn't be able to register on their own because they don't access to a computer, internet, smartphone or someway to register.

Fa-la-la-la-la, la-la-la-la

We actually started doing this when the National Guard distributed MRE's to people. If you've ever heard the saying "No good deed goes unpunished," well new years eve while delivering a food box to our neighbor I slipped and fell, fracturing my ankle. We still had one box to deliver plus promised photos with Santa that we couldn't get before Christmas. So Ron changed into his red suit, I stabilized my ankle in a boot I had from a previous injury and off we went. We got the pics while delivering the last food box, then went home Ron changed before taking me to spend 2 1/2 hours at the ER.

Drum Roll Please 🥁🥁🥁🥁

We have helped 69 families since the beginning of the pandemic and have 42 that will continue to get boxes through September when the VT Full Plates is scheduled to end. Out of the 69 families we have helped, we did not know 34 of them. The new families we have met with young children we will meet again in December just as our alter egos "Santa and Mrs. Claus."🧑‍🎄🎅

#StrongerTogether #NFB21
#CSD #POPPIN’ #VolunteersRock

At your service,
Jeanetta Price, BSW, M. Ed.
President: National Federation of the Blind Community Service Division
Phone: 409-344-1005
Email: price.jeanetta at gmail.com