[Community-Service] October 2021 Newsletter

Maggie Stringer ravensfan784 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 4 21:59:09 UTC 2021

“Beyond the Six Dots”

National Federation of the Blind Community Service Division

October 2021 Newsletter

We use a white cane, slate & stylus, and screen readers in between,

We read from the left, write from the right, and will tap tap onto any
scene.

We want our communities to know what we’ve got, a commitment to serve,

Beyond the Six Dots!

*THE MAGIC OF AUTUMN*

We are about to tickle your orange. You might wanna be careful drinking
your pumpkin spice latte. It’s time to get the laughs going with the
funniest autumnrrific jokes around!

1) What did the tree say to autumn? Please leaf me alone!

2) How do you fix a broken pumpkin? With a pumpkin patch!

3) What did one autumn leaf say to another? I’m falling for you!

*Don’t think about it, laugh about it!*

*ROLLING OUT THE RED CARPET*

Okay devoted readers, it’s time to get your calendars up and out! You’ve
got a Blind Date with The National Federation of the Blind Community
Service Division & Friends! HANDS UP & JOIN US!

With your most permanent writing utensil, mark your calendar for Saturday,
October 23, 2021 at 2 PM Eastern. If you believe in arriving to
appointments on the early side of the clock? Guess what? You could be a
winner of a fabulous POPUP prize. Make your presence known at 1:45 PM for
some Zoom Voom Room festivities.

So don’t delay! Register today! You must register and be present when your
name is called to win the POPUP prizes. Registration will end on Wednesday,
October 20, 2021 at 5 PM Eastern.  Make it a family and friends affair, and
share the link with everyone you know. We’re gonna brag and say this will
be our most spectacular Blind Date ever!

Without Delays, Register TO-DAY!

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLScXxlHQM4mGfUXV-sf4uxwsDJt4rWi0ZZBRaEkxMbAUJgLRCA/viewform?embedded=true"
width="640" height="1416" frameborder="0" marginheight="0"
marginwidth="0">Loading…</iframe>

*“There are many spokes on the wheel of life. First, we're here to explore
new possibilities.” by Ray Charles*

*CONFIDENCE IN YOUR STRIDE*

National White Cane Safety Day is just a tap tap away. Celebrate the skills
of blind people like yourself on October 15th! This day marks the
importance of one of our most prized possessions, our WHITE CANES! Our
canes are not only an invaluable tool for navigation, it is also a symbol
of independence.

As we pay tribute to Blind Equality Achievement Month, we must remember to
continue to educate the general public on the importance and significance
of our white canes. The sighted society may under estimate the scale of
safety and freedom in which our white canes provide. We have all have had
encounters where bystanders have disrupted our path or attempt to steer us
in another direction. Let’s put an end to the unawareness and educate the
world on October 15th!

Post your White Cane Awareness events on our Community Service Facebook
page:

*www.facebook.com/communityservicedivision/*
<http://www.facebook.com/communityservicedivision/>

Join the NFB of Delaware on Friday, October 15th at River Front for their
White Cane Walk event! For more information, visit their website:

*https://www.nfbde.org/* <https://www.nfbde.org/>

*“When life hands you a white cane, change the world’s view one tap at a
time!”*

*GROWTH, MINDSET & PRIDE*

Contributed by Daria Bannerman

In either my junior or senior year of high school, my peers and I were
sitting in the gym on these really hard and uncomfortable bleachers. We
were listening to this inspirational speaker with cerebral Palsy share her
story in how she pushes through life and what it takes to be an employed,
disabled woman. Her testimony was so powerful, I remember her talking about
the different gears she uses to operate her vehicle and her educating us on
how she advocated for her needs by learning her rights. I want to share
with all of you, a brief part of her message as we honor Disability History
& Awareness month.

“What is Disability History & Awareness month?

I’m glad your curiosity piqued. Each year in October, people with
disabilities across the country celebrate Disability History & Awareness
month to increase awareness, respect, and acceptance of people with
disabilities. In addition, Disability History and Awareness Month brings a
sense of pride to this population. People with or without disabilities can
bring awareness to the qualities, skills, and abilities people with
disabilities offer and contribute to society, whether it’s through
volunteering to give back to the community, or through educating others
about how people with disabilities interact with family friends, and the
workforce via fun, attention grabbing presentations. Remember that people
with disabilities paved the way for us to be recognized in October, and
asserted the rights we have to exist, thrive, and make positive
contributions to society. However, you celebrate Disability History and
Awareness month, do it with a smile on your face and with pride!”

*“Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement. Nothing can be done
without hope and confidence.” by Helen Keller*

*SHE WALKED THROUGH THE DOOR OF FAITH*

Breast Cancer Awareness month

Written by Tan Scott

Contributed by Andrea Nelson

My name is Tan Scott and I was born in Atlanta, Georgia. I went to
Frederick Douglass High School and Morris Brown College, both in the City
of Atlanta.  I later attended The School of the Great Commission Bible
College and received my doctorate in Theology.  I have one daughter by
natural birth and a bonus daughter and son through the union of marriage.
My husband, Dwayne Scott and I have been married for 5.5 years.  I love to
read and write poetry for self-expression; and I walk a lot.  Walking is
therapeutic.

I did not know that I had breast cancer. I knew I was not feeling like
myself.  I was extremely fatigued and had pain in my left arm.  I ignored
it for about 6 months.  I was a single mom and just kept going and going
until the pain became unbearable.

Interestingly, my diagnosis came in stages. At first, a doctor told me I
had pulled a muscle, since the pain was in my left arm. He gave me muscle
relaxers, pain medicine, and sent me home.  My mother insisted that I
return and request an X-ray.  I did.  Quickly, I was asked to go for an
ultrasound.  I was 32 years old and at that time mammograms were not given
until you were 40.  After the ultrasound, I was instructed to get a
mammogram.  Finally, I was told that the results of those procedures were
abnormal and that I needed to see a breast surgeon.

Still, after seeing the breast surgeon, I was not given a diagnosis
immediately.  I had to undergo a needle biopsy procedure, where breast
tissue is removed and tested for cancer.  The initial results indicated
that there was no cancer.  The doctor’s face told me that she did not agree
with that finding, and she was right.  After undergoing an excisional
biopsy – where the entire tumor is removed, I was finally diagnosed with
Stage IIIC Invasive Ductal Carcinoma (IDC) HER2 Positive.

All of what I described above happened in a span of about 2 weeks.  There
was very little time for reaction.  If I had to use one word to describe
what I was feeling, it would be: uncertain.  We did not have a family
history of cancer of any kind, and certainly not breast cancer. Where did
this come from?  Why me? I am so young (or at least that is what everyone
around me kept saying; you’re so young).

My relationship with God was the biggest support and the only way I made it
through. I recall God saying to me just weeks before my diagnoses, “I am
placing two doors before you; fear and faith – CHOOSE!” At that time, I
thought this was related to a job offer and relocation for employment.  I
now know God was preparing me for the fight that was before me. If I went
with the door of fear; death was sure.  So, faith was the only door I could
open.  I also had my natural and church family praying for me and with me
the entire way.  Their prayers gave me the strength I needed on days when
my body did not want to fight.

I am still changing. I became more acquainted with God in a way I had not
known Him before.  I learned His voice. The small whisper became keen and
present in every part of my life.  For that, I am grateful.  I would do it
all over again for that reward.  There are always life challenges.  I
always resort back to, “If you did it then God, you will do it now!”  That
is the way I live my life.  For this reason, I say I am always changing.  I
am truly on the Potter’s wheel.

Of course, I do not know the totality of this impact.  But I hear from so
many that my faith moved others in a way that I was not even aware.  I did
not have time for fear.  God had made it perfectly clear, fear or faith.
Every step was moving towards healing.  I was a single mother of an
11-year-old, rambunctious girl, who needed her mother.   I promised God I
would walk through the door of faith, and He promised me He would meet me
with healing on the other side. God assured me that I would get to see my
daughter grow up.  And that is what He did.  My hope is that my impact has
been one that confirms miracles STILL happen today!

If you or someone you know has been diagnosed with breast cancer, I want
you to know that this cancer is not YOURS.  Remember you have been
DIAGNOSED; but you do not HAVE breast cancer.  Who would want that? Never
call it “MY cancer” instead “this or the” cancer or my diagnosis.  Healing
starts with you.  What you believe will escape your mouth and pronounce
your future.  Be sure you have a relationship with God.  God is a healer.
God is a miracle worker; STILL.  Miracles still happen, today.  Pray over
and for your doctors and ask God to guide them in what “cocktail” or
treatment plan is best specifically for YOU.  Then do it.  Medicine does
not negate the miracle.  Find laughter in the entire process, wherever you
can. Refuse to listen to ANYONE who does not speak healing.  Hear the facts
but believe the favor.

*"Faith has a role to play in life. It is not related to success. It is the
other way round. Success is related to faith. Faith comes first." by Andrea
Bocelli*

*TEACHERS MAKING TEACHERS*

Dyslexia Awareness month

Contributed by Tyler Mutz

Dyslexia is a general term for disorders that involve difficulty in
learning to read or interpret words, letters, and other symbols, but that
do not affect general intelligence.

“For me, I kept having difficulties in all of my reading classes and with
my reading assignments. At first, my parents thought my visual impairment
was getting worse, but my teachers could sense that it was something
different. I was struggling in identifying speech sounds and learning how
they relate to letters and words. There were times I would learn to spell a
word and completely forget the next day. If a word had more than two
syllables, processing the sounds was very challenging.”

There are four types of dyslexia; Phonological Dyslexia (most common),
Surface Dyslexia, Double Deficit Dyslexia, and Visual Dyslexia. A person
with dyslexia might see some letters as backwards or upside down. They
might see text appearing to jump around on a page or they might not be able
to tell the difference between letters that look similar in shape such as o
and e and c. There is a common misconception that dyslexia only affect the
ability to read and write. In reality, dyslexia can affect memory,
organization, time-keeping, concentration, multi-tasking and communication.
All impact on everyday life.

“When I was finally diagnosed with dyslexia, a huge burden had been lifted
from my shoulders. I had been told there was no cure, but knowing it could
be managed with special instruction and support, gave me the biggest sense
of hope. I remember one of my teachers sitting down with me one afternoon
and going over a list of career choices he had research for me.

He found famous and legendary musicians, artists, designers, photographers,
architects, actors, scientists, engineers, and entrepreneur who were all
dyslexic and living promising and successful lives. I made a mental choice
that night, I was going to become an art teacher. I wanted to give back
what my favorite, supportive teachers had given to me.

I want to leave you with a few things to remember when interacting with a
child who is dyslexic. People tend to believe that we are not ‘trying hard
enough’. I am here to tell you that effort has nothing to do with it. It’s
the type of instruction that makes a difference, not how hard kids try.
With good instruction and practice, kids with dyslexia can make lasting
gains in reading. I am a testament to that fact!

Also, intervention makes a big difference in helping someone with dyslexia
learn to read. But being able to read doesn’t mean they’re “cured.”
Dyslexia is a lifelong learning difference that can affect more than just
basic reading skills. There are a number of reading programs designed for
struggling readers. Many uses what’s called a multisensory approach. This
type of instruction uses sight, sound, and touch.

I hope I was able to provide some insight to Dyslexia Awareness. If you
happen to forget everything I have written before now, try to remember this
one line. Praise instills power and belief builds character.”

*“Just because a man lacks the use of his eyes doesn’t mean he lacks
vision.” by Stevie Wonder*

*WE WEAR PURPLE*

Written by Cheryl E. Fields

Part 1 of 2

October is a popular month to promote awareness through community walks and
races, wearing lapel pins and ribbons, using the fall décor of pumpkins and
scarves, in identifying an organization or cause. But, each of them has
adopted a signature color to stand out just a little bit more. Purple is
the color of Domestic Violence & Intimate Partner Abuse Awareness.

>From the palest of lavenders to the rich darkness of the plums, the variety
of abuses perpetrated on humanity, stretches beyond the spectrum of the
color purple, and our comprehension. These crimes can be difficult to prove
and prosecute. Too often, victims are not encouraged to report and they
sadly, become acutely discouraged.

The statistics are recorded, maintained and gathered based on formal
reports of acts of abuse. The numbers are staggering. In addition, the
number of cases that result in prosecution are considerably low,
outrageously so, when compared to the number of deaths due to domestic
violence. Law enforcement and other professionals are certain that persons
with disabilities, the LBGTQ community, women, and children suffer abuse at
a much higher rate than other groups. Take a moment to consider what would
those numbers be if every victim reported each crime, every time an abuse
occurred? Ask yourself, how could reporting and prosecution change the
world we currently live in.

So, why don’t people in marginalized communities report more often?
Unfortunately, there are some that don’t realize they are being abused.
Others are too scared of not being able to prove what happened to them and
that no one will believe their story. Reporting is never easy and, in many
instances, require advance planning. This is especially challenging for
individuals with disabilities. But our communities can become a tremendous
source of hope with the proper education and be a provider of the necessary
resources.

The National Federation of the Blind is America’s premier organization,
where the blind speaks for the blind. It’s extremely crucial for us to
learn and lead without bias and exclusion. Genuine empathy and compassion
for victims are truly essential qualities and necessary to nurture a safe,
empowered, and supported community. Moving from awareness to action can be
rather puzzling. Spend time listening to the victims, speak with the
leaders in your affiliate, and make a plan! What you determine to do is far
better than doing nothing at all!

A few ideas, if you need an extra nudge.

-        Educate chapter and division members on boundaries and consent.

-        Build a relationship with the local domestic violence agency in
your city or state.

-        Create a check-in process for members, especially those that are
at risk.

-        Maintain a resource list for your area.

Say it with us, you have the right to Live the Life We Want free from
violence!

*SPREAD YOUR WINGS & FLY HIGH*

Written by Andrea Nelson

Part 2 of 2

There are several types of abuse- physical assault, battery, sexual,
economic, emotional, intimidation, harassment and stalking.

The Crisis Hotline is a place that operates 24/7/365. If you or someone you
know needs help, call our National Domestic Violence Hotline:

*(800) 799-7233 (SAFE)*

*Or text the word, "START" to 88788*

The national call center refers to local resources. Spanish plus 160 other
languages are available. And there is NO CALLER ID used!

“Fine priceless China is not meant to be chipped, broken nor destroyed.
Fine priceless China is valuable, exquisite and has self-worth that is far
above precious jewels.”

Chelsealya ‘Cookie’ Payne, is a beautiful, successful, and empowering
leader who has defied the odds and defeated the horrific obstacles of
domestic violence. Cookie has so much potential and extraordinary
achievements that shall continue to bless, inspire and support others to
spread their wings and fly high. She wants you to believe that you too, are
fine priceless China!

*“Make your strengths visible.” by Marla Lee Runyan *

*SERVING IT UP WITH SEAFOOD *

Did you know there is a month designated to seafood? It’s an annual
observance that takes place in the month of October. One of our CSD members
has always been a lover of shrimp and crabmeat.” Growing up in Baltimore,
Maryland you never had to worry about there being a shortage on the sea
goodies. The closer you are to the Bay or Ocean, the better quality of
seafood you’ll find.”

Join us this month and recognize National Seafood month. Throw your line
into the water and give some seafood recipes a try!

*Ocean’s Yummies, Lasagna Style *

by Maggie Stringer

Ingredients:

1 (16-ounce) box of Lasagna Noodles

1 green Onion, finely chopped

2 tablespoons of Oil

2 tablespoons of Butter

1 (8-ounce) bottle of Clam Juice

½ cup of Chicken Broth

1 pound of Baby Portobello Mushrooms, sliced

1 pound of small Shrimp, peeled and deveined

1 pound of Bay Scallops

½ pound of Crabmeat, chopped

¼ teaspoon of White Pepper

2 Garlic cloves, minced

2 (16-ounce) jars Alfredo Pasta sauce

1 (16 ounce) container Ricotta Cheese

Mozzarella Cheese, approximately 20 slices

½ cup Parmesan Cheese, plus a little extra

1 Egg

1 teaspoon of Black Pepper

Directions:

1.      In a large big boy pot, bring your water to a boil. You’re going to
cook the noodles according to the box’s instructions. It usually takes
about ten minutes.

2.      Once your noodles are al dente, drain the pot and rinse the
starchiness off the noodles with cold water. You don’t want your noodles to
stick together, so leave your noodles in a bowl of water, until we’re ready
to build.

3.      In a large skillet, let’s sauté your chopped onions and minced
garlic in the oil and butter. Move them around until they’re nice and
tender. Then, we’re going to stir in the broth and clam juice and bring to
a boil. Next, we’re going to add your mushrooms, scallops, shrimp,
crabmeat, and white pepper.

4.      Let the broth return to a boil, then turn down the fire to a
simmer. Keep this skillet uncovered for about four to five minutes or until
the scallops are nicely firm. Make sure to stir gently.

5.      Moving along, you’re going to drain the shrimp mixture and smother
it up with the alfredo sauce. Then, set the seafood goodness aside.

6.      In one of your favorite medium sized bowls, mix the ricotta cheese
with the egg, Parmesan cheese, and black pepper. Then, slide it to the side.

7.      Now it’s time to build your masterpiece! In a deep, well-greased
9x13 lasagna pan, Spoon a little of the alfredo sauce onto the bottom of
the baking dish. We don’t want your glorious meal sticking to the bottom!

8.      Carefully place your first layer of noodles. It should take at
least six strips. Sometimes you’ll have to get crafty with your layering.

9.      Using your best spatula, smooth half of the ricotta mixture onto
the noodles. Next, layer the mozzarella greatness on top of the ricotta
mixture. It should be at least nine to ten slices of the mozzarella
greatness.

10.   Continuing to build, you’re going to pour half of the seafood mixture
on top of your cheeses.

11.   Now, you’ve got this!  Just repeat the above steps of layering,
starting with your noodles, then your ricotta cheese, followed by the
mozzarella greatness, and ending with the seafood finale.

12.   Sprinkle a little or a lot (depending on your liking), of the
Parmesan cheese on top of your crowning jewel!

13.   Lastly, get this dish baking at 350 degrees for forty-five minutes or
until your cheeses has a beautiful golden-brown color. Make sure to let the
lasagna rest for about ten to fifteen minutes before your family dives in.

14.   Now it’s time to have a delicious, nutritious, and healthy meal with
those you love!

Notes:

*I use fresh crabmeat, but you can use imitation if desired. Plus, I always
use a little extra since we love it so much!

*My husband is a big time mushroom and fresh garlic fan, but you can omit
those ingredients if they’re not to your family’s liking.

*If I have time, I make homemade alfredo sauce in place of the store-bought
sauce. If desired, keep your broth mixture and make up your own alfredo
sauce.

*"Art is all about what you can do; what you can't doesn't even enter the
equation." by John Bramblitt*

*REPRESENT YOUR STATE*

*Alaska*

October 15-16, 2021

Location: Anchorage (Coastal Inn)

For more information, please visit: *www.alaskanfb.org*
<http://www.alaskanfb.org>

*Arkansas*

October 29-31, 2021

Location: Springdale (hybrid)

For more information, please visit: *www.nfbar.org* <http://www.nfbar.org>

*California*

October 21-24, 2021

Location: Virtual

For more information, please visit: *www.nfbcal.org* <http://www.nfbcal.org>

*Colorado*

October 28-31, 2021

Location: Denver (hybrid) (Marriott South)

For more information, please visit: *www.nfbco.org* <http://www.nfbco.org>

*Connecticut*

October 29-31, 2021

Location: Rocky Hill (hybrid) (Sheraton)

For more information, please visit: *www.nfbct.org* <http://www.nfbct.org>

*Delaware*

October 29-30, 2021

Location: Virtual

For more information, please visit: *www.nfbde.org* <http://www.nfbde.org>

*District of Columbia*

October 14-16, 2021

Location: Virtual

For more information, please visit: *www.nfbdc.org* <http://www.nfbdc.org>

*Florida*

October 1-3, 2021

Location: Tampa (Embassy Suites)

For more information, please visit: *www.nfbflorida.org*
<http://www.nfbflorida.org>

*Georgia*

October 7-10, 2021

Location: Virtual

For more information, please visit: *www.nfbga.org* <http://www.nfbga.org>

*Illinois*

October 22-24, 2021

Location: Lisle (hybrid) (Sheraton)

For more information, please visit: *www.nfbofillinois.org*
<http://www.nfbofillinois.org>

*Indiana*

October 8-10, 2021

Location: Virtual

For more information, please visit*: **www.nfb-in.org*
<http://www.nfb-in.org>

*Iowa*

October 1-2, 2021

Location: Virtual

For more information, please visit: *www.nfbi.org* <http://www.nfbi.org>

*New York*

October 22-24, 2021

Location: Virtual

For more information, please visit*: **www.nfbny.org* <http://www.nfbny.org>

*North Dakota*

October 1-2, 2021

Location: Virtual

For more information, please visit: *www.nfbnd.org* <http://www.nfbnd.org>

*Oklahoma*

October 22-24, 2021

Location: Virtual

For more information, please visit: *www.nfbok.org* <http://www.nfbok.org>

*Rhode Island*

October 22-23, 2021

Location: Virtual

For more information, please visit: *www.nfbri.org* <http://www.nfbri.org>

*Virginia*

October 29-31, 2021

Location: Tyson's Corner (hybrid) (Westin)

For more information, please visit: *www.nfbv.org* <http://www.nfbv.org>

*EDITOR’S NOTES*

We want to feature you in our next issue! Write about your personal
experience with your community service project and submit the article by
the first of the month.

We also want to help promote your community projects and state affiliate
events. Share your calendar with Beyond The Six Dots and we will feature
your events in the ‘Represent Your State’ section of our next issue.
Contact our editor to submit your calendar events and featured articles.
(The editor may edit the Length and/or wording of your article.)

NFB Community Service Division

www.facebook.com/communityservicedivision/

President Jeanetta Price

Email: price.jeanetta at gmail.com

Mobile: (409) 344-1005

Newsletter Editor: Maggie Stringer

Email: Ravensfan784 at gmail.com

Mobile: (443) 750-0070

*ONE MINUTE MESSAGE*

expectations of blind people because low expectations create obstacles
between blind people and our dreams. We are survivors!