[Community-Service] September 2021 Newsletter

Maggie Stringer ravensfan784 at gmail.com
Thu Sep 9 00:46:19 UTC 2021

“Beyond the Six Dots”

National Federation of the Blind Community Service Division

September 2021 Newsletter

We use a white cane, slate & stylus, and screen readers in between,

We read from the left, write from the right, and will tap tap onto any
scene.

We want our communities to know what we’ve got, a commitment to serve,

Beyond the Six Dots!

*SERVING LAUGHS*

There is nothing in the world so irresistibly contagious as laughter and
good humor.

There’s a place where January comes after February and December comes
before September.

It’s the dictionary! (HaHaHa)

*SERVING OUR COMMUNITIES, ANYWHERE AND EVERYWHERE*

“Service is a fitting way to start to heal, unite, and rebuild this country
we love.”/ President Joe Biden

*LET’S GET IT POPPING! *

The Community Service Division would like to take this opportunity to
encourage everyone to get involved by way of volunteering your time to
serve others on September 11, National Day of Service and Remembrance. CSD
it’s time to serve! Let’s join forces with AmeriCorps on 9/11 Day— step
forward to serve in a remarkable spirit of unity, honor, and compassion.
Remember, even a small act of service is a giant act of patriotism.

Looking for more ways to serve.  Double tap on the link, and explore
various opportunities to join the movement.
https://americorps.gov/911-day   *SAVE THE DATE* *September 11th Ceremony* *8
o’clock eastern time*

This year marks the 20th anniversary of the September 11th attacks on U.S.
soil. It is a time to remember the courage of so many firefighters,
paramedics, New York policemen and New York’s Port Authority Officers that
sacrificed their lives to save others, and a time to honor the memory of
all those who perished at Shanksville, Pennsylvania, the Pentagon and the
Twin Towers.

It is a time to show reverence for all the lives lost in just 102 minutes
of the clock. As Americans, we still remember and we must never forget.

Join the Community Service Division on Saturday, September 11th at 8
o’clock EDT as we remember:

https://us02web.zoom.us/j/86984306729?pwd=U3JJSXZqenRvNWg4eHRHalhGQmdSZz09
<https://www.google.com/url?q=https%3A%2F%2Fus02web.zoom.us%2Fj%2F86984306729%3Fpwd%3DU3JJSXZqenRvNWg4eHRHalhGQmdSZz09&sa=D&sntz=1&usg=AFQjCNHj0umjeQ-_Md9okkLub_de0Vg10w>

(Note: Each person signed up will receive 60 seconds to share their service
project for 9/11. Participants must zoom in 15 minutes early in order to
sign up for “Share My Service Segment.”)

*STAND DOWN*

Written by Stacie Leap

The Philadelphia Stand Down serves veterans within the five counties in the
Delaware Valley (Bucks, Chester, Delaware, Montgomery, and Philadelphia)
since 1994. Their goal has been to bring veterans to a central location so
they can receive resources, information, and services. They do this by
partnering with various organization (military or civilian) as well as the
Veterans Administration.

These resources are to help the veterans become self-sufficient and
independent. The resources and tools provided are put in place for
short-term and long-term success. Although their services are geared
towards helping homeless veterans, any veteran needing services are
welcomed.

This year, Lombard Central Presbyterian Church will be the hosting site for
the 2021 Philadelphia Stand Down event. It will be on Saturday, September
11, 2021 from 8am to 4pm EDT. There will be other organizations providing
dental and medical care, housing, clothing, food, recovery support, and
other life supports that may be needed.

As Our Pastor, Chris Kimmenez, sits on the board of Philadelphia Stand Down
and is a veteran of the United States Marines Corp. One of Lombard Central
Presbyterian Church’s mission is to be the bridge between the people living
near the church and other agencies whose mission aligns with community
enrichment, civic engagement, and positive unity. The church will be
cooking food and providing drinks for the event.

I have been attending the church for a few months and plan to volunteer for
this amazing event that happens to fall on September 11th where we also
remember the lives lost in 2001. For more information about Philadelphia
Stand Down or to volunteer for the event on 9/11/21, please contact Pastor
Chris from Lombard Central Presbyterian Church at (267) 582-5013.

*NATIONAL HISPANICS and LATINS HERITAGE MONTH*

*September 15th through October 15*

Hispanic Heritage Month is an annual celebration of the history and culture
of the U.S. Latinx and Hispanic communities. The Community Service Division
spotlight’s *Daniel Martinez aka “Danny”!*

Danny is a 31-year-old blind Chicano. He lives the best of both worlds at
the Texas border with Mexico. Danny identifies as an educator and a mentor
of people with disabilities.

He holds a Master’s of Education in Special Ed. and he plans to continue
his studies…
Within the National Federation of the Blind, Danny is a member of the RGV
chapter, and he participates in programs such as the Texas mentoring
program, BELL Academy, Silver Bells, Cambiando Vidas, and NFB-Newsline. You
may recognize him from his participation at our national conventions, when
he makes announcements regarding Spanish interpretation services.

Danny has made a commitment to do outreach in the Latinx community, and he
has done so by joining the efforts of METAS. This organization was
coordinated to mentor, engage, and teach all students who are Spanish
speakers. Danny currently serves as an advisor for the National Disability
Mentoring Coalition and for the APH Career Connect program. For his
experience in mentoring, he was inducted to the Susan M. Daniels Disability
Hall of Fame.

In September 2021, Danny became a fellow of Respectability’s National
Leadership Program. He will be undergoing professional development
training, in matters of advocacy and non-profit management, to make a
difference in the lives of people with disabilities.

Danny is finding it a bit challenging to play guitar while carrying Baby
Daniel David, but he is managing. Feel free to connect with Danny at
dmartinez at nfbtx.org

*NEVER TOO YOUNG*

*NATIONAL GOOD NEIGHBOR DAY*

Contributed by Mrs. Pearson’s 2nd Grade Class

Make today a beautiful day in your neighborhood! Spread some kindness this
month by bringing your neighbors homemade goodies, inviting them over for a
picnic, or offering to help them with their yard projects.

We asked some of our younglings how they have been good neighbors. Here are
their responses:

“The man next door is kind of old and I like to help bring his trash cans
in, so he doesn’t have to worry about doing it himself”, Says Ryan.

“When Miss Pat works late, I go over and visit with her puppy, Shadow, and
make sure he has water in his bowl”, says Angie.

“My Mom and I planted lots of pretty flowers for Miss Sue since it hurts
her to kneel down on the ground”, says Kendra.

“We knocked on everyone’s door and asked them if we could help shovel their
sidewalks. It was a lot of work, but me and my brothers had fun doing it”,
says Matthew.

Follow these cuties example; meet your neighbors and create those
meaningful connections today!

“Love and kindness are never wasted. They always make a difference. They
bless the one who receives them, and they bless you, the giver.”

*I HAVE SOMETHING TO OFFER*

*September recognized as National Suicide Prevention Awareness Month*

Contributed by Roger Wilson

The subject of suicide can be extremely awkward and sensitive. However,
evidence shows that providing support services and talking about suicide
are just some of the actions we can all take to help others.

“I hated myself. I hated myself so much that I literally couldn’t stand to
look at myself in the mirror each morning. I didn’t want to face who I was.”

Back in 1977, I was 20 years old and tried to commit suicide. It wasn’t the
first time I had thought about ending things. Depending on what was going
on at the time, I thought about it a lot or a year would go by. There
wasn’t one specific thing that happened that day and nothing tragic
recently occurred. I was home alone that morning and that thought came
creeping around again and I finally pulled the trigger.

Reading this newsletter, you know that the bullet didn’t kill me that day.
But it did take my sight, I woke up in the hospital as a totally blind man.
Looking back now, that is the one thing I have never grappled with. The
moment I realized I was blind; I was okay with it. As a matter of fact, I
remember asking the nurse where I could use a telephone. He told me it was
four doors down the hall. I got up, found my way out, counted four doors
down, picked up the phone receiver to call my family, and remember telling
them I was hungry.

Mentally, Things were not okay for a long time. I tried picking up the
pieces and going about my life again. I went to get training as a blind man
and was kicked out. My family and friends didn’t want me living with them
in fear I would try to finish what I started. I just kept moving from town
to town and state to state. I didn’t know it then, but I kept running from
me. I needed to somehow find a way to not just exist in this life.

Whenever I would have these suicidal thoughts, I never thought how it might
affect others. It wasn’t until I started hearing how much I had hurt those
around me, that I could begin to see how much my choice had had an impact
on others. Friends, family, neighbors, and even people I didn’t even really
know were affected by this. I had no clue that so many people cared. I knew
that if I was going to survive this cruel place, I was going to have to
find a way to focus on healing for others before I could find strength in
wanting to live.

Whether you believe in God or a higher power, God wasn’t done with me on
that cold January night. Today, I have a wife, kids, grandkids, and make it
my mission to help wherever I can. He has blessed me with opportunities and
experiences that most may never have. Thinking about it now, I can remember
a neighbor telling me once, that I was like The Ice Cream Man; I had become
an important fixture in this big city.

I know pulling the trigger that day hurt many, many loved ones and I am so
so sorry. That is why I try to be the best person I can be, each and every
day. If I can make a difference to even one person, that means the world to
me.

“It’s important to share my story because life is complicated, hard and
often, a constant struggle. And I don’t want anyone to think that they have
to do it alone. You don't need to be a therapist to say the right words to
someone. It can literally be one word, and it puts everything into
perspective.”

If someone you know is struggling emotionally or having a hard time, you
can be the difference in getting them the help they need.

*WE’VE GOT SUNSHINE*

*It’s time to go back to school! Don’t forget to pack your slate and
stylus, plus our September’s sunshine! *

*Question: What is the longest word in the dictionary?*

*Answer: Smiles, because there is a mile between each “S”!*

*Don’t think about it, laugh about it!*

*PLANTING SEEDS OF BRAILLE*

*September is National Literacy Month,** a time to encourage reading at all
ages. We should lead by example by reading with the youth out loud, start a
youth book club, and implement fun reading exercises.*

Seedlings Braille Books for Children is a small nonprofit in Livonia,
Michigan that is dedicated to producing high-quality free and low-cost
braille books for children with vision loss. Seedlings promotes braille
literacy and hopes to instill a love of reading in children with vision
loss. We believe we are able to contribute to literacy by providing blind
children with a better opportunity to develop the skill of literacy.

As a nonprofit our number one mission is to provide braille books to the
children in need. Every $10 donated puts another braille book into the
hands of a blind child. Seedlings is able to give away more than half of
their books completely FREE of charge with the help of our supporters.

Whether your support is monetary, word of mouth or giving us your time; “our
kids” thank you! At this time due to the pandemic, Seedlings is not
accepting any new volunteers. But we encourage you to participate and share
in our events. Please consider donating and/or participating in our
upcoming Online Auction, November 10-17. View the auction here:
www.biddingforgood.com/braillebooks
<http://www.google.com/url?q=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.biddingforgood.com%2Fbraillebooks&sa=D&sntz=1&usg=AFQjCNF-h8IVTg8M3yuzQewtkBXSLMBQzQ>

 For more information about us check out our website at www.seedlings.org
<http://www.google.com/url?q=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.seedlings.org&sa=D&sntz=1&usg=AFQjCNH67GYtpVsbKHpkK8nkRMc3WAryxw>
or
give us a call at (800) 777-8552.

*ONE BOOK AT A TIME*

Contributed by Stacie Leap

International Literacy Day reminds us that illiteracy exists in affluent
societies, not just third world countries. It is a problem that needs to be
solved and deserves our attention and participation. Just thinking about
how different our lives would be if we could not read or write makes us
shiver.

We have instrumental volunteers like Stacie Leap who are making a literacy
difference in their community.

“In January of 2021, we hosted our first book drive for the Greater
Philadelphia, Martin Luther King Junior, Day of Service. Our goal was to
obtain donations of 500 books. We exceeded our goal and collected OVER 700
titles!

Our book drive was a major success because of Resources such as Human
Development (RHD), community members in South Philadelphia, North
Philadelphia, and West Philadelphia. We believe it is crucial to promote
literacy within our children as well as adults. We have notice that
students in the Philadelphia’s school district perform below proficiency in
reading. Statistics show that the rates are higher in household with
low-income. When a child falls BEHIND, IT WILL CAUSE CHALLENGES IN THEIR
EDUCATION WHICH CAN LEAD TO HIGH DROP-OUT RATES AND UNEMPLOYMENT AS THEY
MATURE TO ADULTHOOD. Setting our children up for failure is not an option!

Through the efforts of our book drive, we were able to give the books out
to the students who attended Overbrook School for the Blind, West
Philadelphia High School, and blankenburg Elementary. In addition, we were
able to donate some books to Lombard Central Presbyterian Church, so they
can give it out to the patrons and visitors of the church. Our collections
didn’t stop there. We were also able to donate large print books and
Braille books to the National Federation of the Blind!

We hope to host another successful book drive this coming January and would
like to make this community project an annual event.  We would like to
double our goal for 2022 and collect a minimum of 1,000 books! We welcome
your support and participation, please email us at phillycsp at gmail.com for
more information.”

*REST, RESET, & REJUVENATE*

*Self–Care Awareness Month*

Written by Daria Bannerman

Self-care is something we all should practice, yet something we fail to do.
What’s more, many of us feel as if self-care means going shopping, getting
our nails done, and spending hours upon hours scrolling on Facebook and
Instagram. According to the article “What is Self-Care and Why is it
Critical For Your Health” self-care is defined as taking care of yourself
so you can be healthy, do well, effectively care for and help others, do
your job, and do what you want and need to accomplish in one day. Self-care
is anything you do to take care of yourself, so you can remain emotionally,
physically, and emotionally well. Self-care is not the same as being
selfish or self-indulgence. In other words, self-care should rejuvenate and
replenish you. Now that we have defined self-care, Here are some of its
benefits:

-        Better physical, mental, and emotional well-being and health.

-        Self-care promotes positive health outcomes.

-        Allows you to be resilient.

-        You can live longer

And you will be better equipped to manage stress. Self-care can also help
you manage symptoms of any health conditions you may have. Getting a good
night’s rest, eating healthy (I got to leave the cookies alone), doing a
hobby you enjoy, spending time in nature, and expressing gratitude.
Although self-care may look differently for everyone, what you do to
implement self-care should make you healthier and happier. So, pour your
favorite bubble bath in the tub, take a nice, brisk walk, shares some
laughs with your best friend! Whatever you do to practice self-care, make
sure it brings you joy and revives you.

*REPRESENT YOUR STATE*

Maine

   - September 25, 2021
   - Location: Virtual
   - For more information, please visit: nfb-me.org <http://www.nfb-me.org/>

Montana

   - September 25, 2021
   - Location: Virtual
   - For more information, please visit: nfbofmt.org
   <http://www.nfbofmt.org/>

New Hampshire

   - September 25, 2021
   - Location: Virtual
   - For more information, please visit: nfbnh.org <http://www.nfbnh.org/>

North Carolina

   - September 24-26, 2021
   - Location: Winston-Salem
   - For more information, please visit: nfbofnorthcarolina.org
   <https://www.nfbofnorthcarolina.org/>

Tennessee

   - September 24-25, 2021
   - Location: Virtual
   - For more information, please visit: nfbtn.org <http://www.nfbtn.org/>

West Virginia

   - September 25, 2021
   - Location: Virtual
   - For more information, please visit: nfbwv.org <http://www.nfbwv.org/>

*RESOURCES*

If You Know Someone in Crisis, call the National Suicide Prevention
Lifeline:

(800) 273-TALK (8255),

Or text the word, HELLO to:

741741

Both services are free and available 24 hours a day, seven days a week. All
calls are confidential. Contact social media outlets directly if you are
concerned about a friend’s social media updates or dial 911 in an
emergency. Learn more on the Lifeline’s website or the Crisis Text Line’s
website.

https://suicidepreventionlifeline.org/

https://www.hispanicheritagemonth.gov

https://www.apa.org/topics/working-psychologist/self-care

http://www.seedlings.org

*EDITOR’S NOTES*

We want to feature you in our next issue! Write about your personal
experience with your community service project and submit the article by
the first of the month.

We also want to help promote your community projects and state affiliate
events. Share your calendar with Beyond The Six Dots and we will feature
your events in the ‘Represent Your State’ section of our next issue.
Contact our editor to submit your calendar events and featured articles.
(The editor may edit the Length and/or wording of your article.)

NFB Community Service Division

www.facebook.com/communityservicedivision/

President Jeanetta Price

Email: price.jeanetta at gmail.com

Mobile: (409) 344-1005

Newsletter Editor: Maggie Stringer

Email: Ravensfan784 at gmail.com

Mobile: (443) 750-0070

*ONE MINUTE MESSAGE*

expectations of blind people because low expectations create obstacles
between blind people and our dreams. We are survivors!