[Ct-nfb] [FWD: [CTTransitHartfordAlerts] NOTICE OF PUBLIC HEARING SCHEDULE FOR FARE INCREASES AND SERVICE REDUCTIONS]

Trevor Attenberg tattenberg at gmail.com
Wed Aug 31 21:11:53 UTC 2011

Dear NFB of CT,

I am interested to know how discussions regarding public transit (see email below) have gone. I’d also like to know how the NFB of CT has stood regarding these issues. It is my opinion that we are not doing enough to support mass transit across the state, and within individual town. Don’t get me wrong, paratranset is important; but it is either not convenient, or not available to many of us. Mass transit is an issue that effects not only the blind. I think it effects the quality of life for people throughout and beyond the borders of the state. The hassles of getting from place to place freely here are indescribably bad, especially for those not living on the coast. I frankly would not recommend a blind person to relocate to Connecticut.

                It is no time to be jacking up prices of tickets and cutting routes, especially as many folks may be considering taking the bus or train rather than the usual car during these times of high gas prices and everything else au courant with the economy. It is discrimination to those who do not drive to leave the mass transit system in ruins. Think of the money that is spent fixing up facilities for cars; think of the bail out of the car industry if you will. In case you don’t know, we the blind are not about to be driving automobiles ourselves to our markets and family homes. Maybe decades from now, but not so soon as to make our needs obsolete.

                Perhaps we should think of others that are effected by poor transportation: those that cannot afford or are not of age to drive. Why don’t we think of the environmental damage caused by excess cars on the roads. Trains and busses are far more fuel efficient than cars will be in a long long time. Each time I hear about this blind driver challenge, I think of the oil drillings, spills, pipelines, and mountain top removal that takes place so that we may even drive a battery powered car. And think of the jobs that can come with improved public transportation. In my view, the most dynamic places in the World, including the U.S. right now, are those where people almost never step into a normal car.

                Do any of you guys use Peter Pan bus? Now this is not a state owned company; but it’s definitely something we should be working on. Any of you guys familiar with the dehumanizing way that the staff treat their customers? Ever get stranded in a station because the announcer decided not to call out your bus, or because the next connecting bus decided to leave early? Have you seen your local station or travel center close down, or your most convenient bus cut? Do you ever wonder why you are paying over $80 for a round trip to say, Worcester MA, and you think to yourself how much more you would travel, and how so many more of your friends would be riding the bus as well if the ticket prices were lower?

                All I am saying is that we have a big potential Connecticut-wide movement before us, and I think the whole NFB of CT needs to play a far far bigger roll. We don’t have to take this second class biz. I did talk to Dr. Maurer about this a while back, and he agreed that there should be a movement within the NFB focused on better transit. So let’s think of this as a matter of justice, the same way we think towards all the other pressing issues that come upon blind folk.

Thanks for reading/listening,

Trevor