[Ct-nfb] Presidential Proclumation

Blindhands at aol.com Blindhands at aol.com
Sat Dec 3 18:03:53 UTC 2011

Presidential Proclamation -- International Day of Persons with  Disabilities

BY THE PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA A PROCLAMATION

On International Day of Persons with Disabilities, we recommit to  ensuring
people living with disabilities enjoy full equality and  unhindered
participation in all facets of our national life. We recognize the  myriad
contributions that persons with disabilities make at home and abroad,  and
we
remember that disability rights are universal rights to be recognized  and
promoted around the world.

For decades, America has been a global leader in advancing the rights  of
people with disabilities. From the Americans with Disabilities Act of  1990
to the Twenty-First Century Communications and Video Accessibility  Act,
which I signed last year, we have striven to bring the American dream  and
comprehensive opportunities in education, health care, and employment
within
reach for every individual. These actions --made possible only through  the
tireless and ongoing efforts of the disability community -- affirm  our
commitment to an equitable and just society where every American can play  a
part in securing a prosperous future for our Nation.

To fulfill this promise not only in America, but around the world,  my
Administration is putting disability rights at the heart of our  Nation's
foreign policy.
With leadership from the Department of State and  the United States Agency
for International Development, we are collaborating  across governments and
in close consultation with the global disability  community to expand access
to education, health care, HIV/AIDS prevention and  treatment, and other
development programs. In 2009, we signed the Convention  on the Rights of
Persons with Disabilities, which seeks to ensure persons  with disabilities
enjoy the same rights and opportunities as all people. If  ratified, the
Convention would provide a platform to encourage other  countries to join
and
implement the Convention, laying a foundation for  enhanced benefits and
greater protections for the millions of Americans with  disabilities who
spend time abroad.

We know from the historic struggle for disability rights in the  United
States that disability inclusion is an ongoing effort, and many  challenges
remain in securing fundamental human rights for all persons  with
disabilities around the world. On International Day of Persons  with
Disabilities, we press forward, renewing our dedication to  embrace
diversity, end discrimination, remove barriers, and uphold the  rights,
dignity, and equal opportunity of all people.

NOW, THEREFORE, I, BARACK OBAMA, President of the United States of  America,
by virtue of the authority vested in me by the Constitution and the  laws of
the United States, do hereby proclaim December 3, 2011, as  International
Day
of Persons with Disabilities. I call on all Americans to  observe this day
with appropriate ceremonies, activities, and programs.
IN  WITNESS WHEREOF, I have hereunto set my hand this second day of
December,
in  the year of our Lord two thousand eleven, and of the Independence of
the
United States of America the two hundred and thirty-sixth.

BARACK OBAMA