[Ct-nfb] the list, the people, and etiquette

Chris Kuell ckuell at comcast.net
Thu May 12 15:39:48 UTC 2011

Hello, folks.

Monica, I think your first post was spot on,and I agree with Joe. However, the next two weren't really necessary. As part of a list, we need to be cautious about posting, as it does present clutter in everyone's inbox. Please weigh if your response is something everyone needs to read, and let's try to keep things civil.

Elizabeth, I think a list like this is the perfect place to ask questions, as you will get a variety of answers and opinions. I'm not exactly sure what you mean by disability etiquette, but it certainly sounds like something people should be aware of. In the case of blindness, this includes never grabbing a person by the elbow and dragging them somewhere, not speaking to them as if they were deaf or mentally challenged, or even worse, speaking to a sighted person we may be with. I tell people to speak to me like I'm a reasonable adult, which I am most of the time, and if you think I may require assistance, please ask me.

Kind regards,

chris