[Ct-nfb] this list's creation

Elizabeth Rival erival at comcast.net
Thu May 12 16:26:28 UTC 2011

Elizabeth, I hope this helps. Please join us in November at our state
convention. Beth Rival, President of Ct.

THE COURTESY RULES OF THE BLIND

When you meet me doesn't be ill at ease.  It will help both of use if you
remember these simple points of courtesy:

(1)    I'm an ordinary person, just blind.  You don't need to raise your
voice or address me as if I were a child.  Don't ask my spouse what I want -
"Cream

In the coffee?" - ask me.

(2)    I may use a long white cane or a guide dog to walk independently:  or
I may ask to take your arm.  Let me decide, and please don't grab my arm;
let

Me take yours.  I'll keep a half-step behind to anticipate curbs and steps.

(3)    I want to know who's in the room with me.  Speak when you enter.
Introduce me to others.  Include children, and tell me if there's a cat or
dog.

(4)    The door to a room or cabinet or to a car left partially open is a
hazard to me.

(5)    At dinner I will not have trouble with ordinary table skills.

(6)    Don't avoid words like "see".  I use them, too.  I'm always glad to
see you.

(7)    I don't want pity.  But don't talk about the "wonderful
compensations" of blindness.  My sense of smell, touch or hearing did not
improve when I

Became blind.  I rely on them more and therefore, may get more information
through those senses than you do - that's all.

(8)    If I'm your houseguest, show me the bathroom, closet, dresser, window
- the light switch, too.  I like to know if the lights are on.

(9)    I'll discuss blindness with you if you're curious, but it's an old
story to me.  I have as many other interests as you do.

(10)Don't' think of me as just a blind person.  I'm just a person who
happens to be blind.

(11)You don't need to remember some "politically correct" term, "visually
impaired", "sight challenged" etc.  Keep it simple and honest, just say
blind.

In all 50 states the law requires to yield to the right of way when they see
my extended white can.  Only the blind may carry white canes.  You see more

Blind persons today walking alone, not because there are more of us, but
because we have learned to make our own way.

  _____