[Ct-nfb] [FWD: What you have learned from the two storms- offer your experiences to help others]

Susan Harper sueharper at firstchurchgriswold.org
Tue Nov 8 18:12:50 UTC 2011

We always have 4 to 8  21/2 gal containers of Bottled water, because we RV
a lot.  We also put up big kettles of water in case power goes out to flush
toilets.  We have medications made up in med. boxes at least a weeks worth
at all time.  WE use lots of baby wipes for faces and hands in our RV.  So
we tend to keep 3 to 4 boxes on hand.  They are great for washing up not
just faces, but tables and sideboards too.  We also keep packets of forks,
spoons knives, paper plates, cups, and napkins.  We keep at least one tank
of gas for our gas grill on hand, usually two.  For you coffee people, get
a camp coffee pot to put in the cupboard.  It can be bought at any store
that sells camping supplies and the cost is around $20.00.  Buy canned
foods in pop top cans, like spaghetti and ravioli and Vienna
sausage. Because we camp and RV a lot, we always have these things as
staples.  You have meds, can wash, can cook, can throw away dishes, etc.
and most important, flush the toilet.   Also keep a list of phone numbers
you might want of people to call or just to let know you are okay.

Extras would be a 5 gallon can of gas (make sure you use it and restock
regularly) and an inverter for your car to charge cell phones, run
nebulyzers (try to keep spare inhalers), etc.

I'm from Maine and the power goes out regularly and we camp a lot and enjoy
those forced times of doing nothing, but like our comfort.  Happy Camping!
Blessings,
Sue H.