[Ct-nfb] [FWD: NEAT: Free Demonstration of the NEW revolution in text to speech scanning

Esther Levegnale elevegnale at sbcglobal.net
Sat Sep 3 14:14:09 UTC 2011

Suzanne!

I went to a demonstration of the Pearl camera last fall and at that time,
Freedom Scientific had a deal going on where the camera was $600 and the
upgrade to Open Book 9, if you didn't have that version installed already,
was $150.  I took advantage of that deal and I have to say that the Pearl
working with Open Book 9 has very rapid scanning, and the time between
scanning and reading aloud is within seconds.  Of course, like all scanners,
sometimes it reads gibberish, and that depends on the print.  I don't know
if FS is doing another deal, but it pays for anyone just to see it
demonstrated.  I know you can't make the demonstration, but I would
encourage any one of you on this list to just see how it works.  The camera
is the scanner and it's portable, connecting to any computer via a USB cable
attached to it.

Esther