[Ct-nfb] Goodwill Boycott

Justin Salisbury PRESIDENT at alumni.ecu.edu
Thu Jun 21 12:57:31 UTC 2012

I'm quite sure that they can actually be competitively employed, even without meeting them.

A lot of people "with multiple disabilities" are disillusioned into believing that sheltered employment is all that they can achieve.  One problem with sheltered workshops is that these disabled workers are often not exposed to competitively employed co-workers to show them what it's really like.  Rehab counselors often channel them into these jobs because they have too many people on their case loads to properly serve all, and that's an easy, "temporary" solution.  Some rehab counselors actually don't expect competitive employment of their disabled clients, which is really disgusting.  I don't think that happens in Connecticut, but it does happen.

First, let's assume that the jobs that they're doing at Easter Seals are the only tasks that they can perform in life.  Don't assume that they can do anything that they don't do on the job presently.  Chances are pretty darn good that these companies that employ them can afford to pay them a minimum wage.  The fat and happy executives might have to suffer a pay cut, but they'll still be well off.  There is significant employment data to show that companies do have the funds available to pay their workers fair wages.  Call the NFB national office to inquire about the data if you'd like.  410.659.9314

The reality is that human beings are flexible in their skill sets, regardless of disability.  There are competitive employment placement professionals who can take someone who simply knows, for example, left from right and how to differentiate colors and find them competitive employment.  One way that this is done is through a process called "job carving."  Job placement professionals go into a work environment and assess the tasks being performed by everyone involved.  Here's an example: A placement professional saw that highly-skilled business professionals were spending time at the copier that they could have spent doing other things that produced more revenue for the company.  These professionals were being paid over $40 per hour, and their productivity was not being maximized.  The company carved out the task of using the copier and created a minimum wage job so that the disabled person could work the copier all day long, and the highly-skilled professionals were no longer wasting their time at the copier.  The company ended up increasing profits, and a disabled person got a job.  All the disabled person had to be able to do was put papers in a copier, type in a number, and push a start button.

Anil Lewis, Director of Strategic Communications for the National Federation of the Blind, was diagnosed "educationally mentally retarded" when he was in school.  Obviously, he's not, but it's easy for people to be incorrectly diagnosed with other disabilities.  If we made it illegal for people who are just blind to be paid subminimum wages, a lot of people who really are just blind would be diagnosed with something else so that they could still work in subminimum wage jobs.

Good, capable people are often broken when they enter these sheltered workshops.  Anil's big brother was, according to Anil, more intelligent and capable than he was.  His big brother started working at a subminimum wage job at the Georgia Industries for the Blind.  He wasn't stimulated by the work, and it led to terrible depression and alcoholism.  That job ruined his brother, and he would have been better off being unemployed than working in that job.  He could have found competitive employment, but he didn't because he was pushed into that job by someone with no expectations for disabled people.

Sure, maybe ten people in all of Connecticut will actually not be justifiably employable at the minimum wage and will lose their jobs.  If they need to be out and about to have a reason to get up every day, there's volunteer work for those ten people.  If they weren't earning minimum wage, they weren't living independently, anyway, so they will need to depend more heavily on their support mechanisms.  As a former US President once said, "to save lives, we must take lives."  We will be saving astronomically more than we will be disrupting.

Justin

Justin M. Salisbury
Class of 2012
B.A. in Mathematics
East Carolina University
president at alumni.ecu.edu

“Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it’s the only thing that ever has.”    —MARGARET MEAD