[Ct-nfb] Goodwill Boycott

Blindhands at aol.com Blindhands at aol.com
Thu Jun 21 15:05:42 UTC 2012

There might be a need for these places.  Such places are available for  the
elderly and it is called Daycare for Seniorsor similar names and it is
very pricey for folks to partake in these places.  These so called Work  Shops
are many times serve the same purpose.

What upsets me is the fact that BESB considers to encourage their blind
clients to take jobs in these places.  BESB falsely paints  these positions as
permanent job places and pays the blind an above minimum  wage pay while
they are in training[thru some government work  program].     They spent 3
months working out how I could  travel from Stratford to New Haven
independently.[after it was decided the train  was not a safe option, then Bpt transit
and My Ride was the  choice].     I worked for 6 months part time receiving
$11.50 per hour and after the training period I was hired or went onto
Americash  pay rates which worked out to be $1.20 per hour.  Since the bus
transportation cost was $12 per day and  I worked 5 hours a day and spent
another average of 4 to 5 hours on a bus or waiting for a bus, I decided after
one week  I could not afford to work there.

I could not believe BESB supported such job placement for a blind  person.

Joyce  Kane
Blindhands at AOL.com