[Ct-nfb] Goodwill thoughts

Justin Salisbury PRESIDENT at alumni.ecu.edu
Thu Jun 21 22:30:10 UTC 2012

If a person needs a babysitter under the presumptive title of "job coach" because they lack the maturity to carry out a job, that person might not be capable of competitive employment.  At that point, why are these people employed?
Organized babysitting makes a mockery of the word "employment."
Volunteer work gives a lot of retired people a strong sense of purpose and self-worth.  Perhaps that's where these people need to look.
Job coaches won't be put out of work; they can switch their purpose to finding ways for their people to be competitively employed instead.  Job carving is quite useful.

We are covering all disabilities because blind people who are just blind will suddenly become multiply disabled with some new diagnosis in order to stay in subminimum wage jobs.
Did you know that some people are now considering obesity a disability?
One thing I mentioned in a previous email (which I know was quite long) was the fact that Anil Lewis, Director of Strategic Communications for the National Federation of the Blind, was diagnosed educationally mentally retarded.  If he is, our entire affiliate is, too.

It's true that people have a choice of where to work, but a lot of disabled people are disillusioned and believe that their only options are subminimum wage employment and unemployment.  If we remove subminimum wage employment, then VR professionals will be forced to do what they should be doing, anyway: holding people to higher expectations.
Most of us have heard stories of women being kidnapped and forced to live with some guy she never knew.  In those stories, the women usually come to accept and believe that that is their life and all they can do.  I think Stockholm's Syndrome is when they come to believe that they're in love with their captors.
Disabled workers in sheltered workshops can be very similar.

I have requested the data you wanted from Anil Lewis and will post it when I receive it.

To save employment, we must take employment.... but we will be taking much, much less employment than many people realize.

Justin

Justin M. Salisbury
Class of 2012
B.A. in Mathematics
East Carolina University
president at alumni.ecu.edu

“Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it’s the only thing that ever has.”    —MARGARET MEAD