[Ct-nfb] Suggestions needed

Anne West ct.daffodil at snet.net
Fri May 18 14:58:58 UTC 2012

If you live in public housing and have heat pumps installed in your homes, I
need some advice.  Of course, this one is for all as well.

We have two heat pumps which include air conditioning installed in our
apartment, one in the living room kitchen area and one in the bedroom.  They
operate with one remote which works for both units.  No problem I thought.
Wrong!

The remote has easy to feel buttons, again, no problem.  It beeps when
pressing buttons to confirm a setting, problem because the info appears on
an LCD display on the remote.

Here's the real problem.  If John sets the remote to operate the unit in the
living room, and I bring the remote into the bedroov, press the on button,
the bedroom unit defaults to the current settings on the remote.  In other
words, the unit on the wall communicates with the remote and sets itself to
those settings.  If the unit on the wall sees something different than the
settings at turn off, it changes with no oral confirmation.  This means I
have no way of using the units without sighted help, not acceptable.

Having a second remote to live in the bedroom would help because John could
set it up for me so all I have to do is turn my unit on and off.  I can
change the temperature independently, but nothing else.  Having a second
remote would solve the problem of my unit defaulting to the living room
settings but I wouldn't know what to do upon turning on the living room unit
if I want to change the settings with that remote if John isn't here.

I will call BESB but I doubt they can help me.  A speech chip in the remote
would be wonderful but that's not going to happen and if it did, we'd be
charged a lot of money for a not so expensive speech chip.

As you can see, I'm venting and I'm totally not happy with the way
technology is going.  So, what do others do in this case?  Please contact me
off list so as not to clutter inboxes.  Thanks in advance.

Anne West
860-628-6454
ct.daffodil at snet.net