[Ct-nfb] FW: ACB Resolution on H.R. 3086

Justin Salisbury PRESIDENT at alumni.ecu.edu
Fri Nov 9 01:16:16 UTC 2012

ACB = American Council of the Blind
NIB = National Industries for the Blind

It is most unfortunate that the ACB decided not to support HR 3086 and is further unfortunate that they chose not to support it for the reasons mentioned in the audio clip.

I must ask, though, how productive it is for us to be circulating ACB material within the Federation.  I used to be a proud member of the ACB, and I was very negative about blindness because of it.  The primary thing that I learned as a member in that organization was to vehemently oppose all efforts of the National Federation of the Blind, whatever they may be.  One day, I won a scholarship from the NFB of Connecticut, and I learned the truth about the Federation; my involvement through which led to the truth about blindness.

While this is further motivation to fight for HR 3086, and while this gives us a view of a counter-argument that we need to address with legislators when we do our lobbying, I don't want anybody (on this list or not) to listen to this audio clip and take away from it the idea that HR 3086 is unimportant.  Remember, everyone, Anil Lewis was diagnosed "educationally mentally retarded."  He doesn't claim that he's not, but, if he can be diagnosed that way, then so can all of the rest of us.  If we just eliminate subminimum wages for the blind, then people will come up with other diagnoses to use to continue subminimum wage employment.  Plus, even if only one blind person were being paid subminimum wages, injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.

Yours in Federationism,

Justin Salisbury

Justin M. Salisbury
B.A. in Mathematics
Class of 2012
East Carolina University
president at alumni.ecu.edu

“Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it’s the only thing that ever has.”    —MARGARET MEAD