[Ct-nfb] FW: National Federation of the Blind of Connecticut State Convention

Elizabeth Rival erival at comcast.net
Sat Oct 6 14:06:29 UTC 2012

From: ct-nfb-bounces at nfbnet.org [mailto:ct-nfb-bounces at nfbnet.org] On Behalf Of llee at nfbct.org
Sent: Thursday, September 27, 2012 3:07 PM
To: NFB of CT list serve
Subject: [Ct-nfb] National Federation of the Blind of Connecticut State Convention

NATIONAL FEDERATION OF THE BLIND

OF CONNECTICUT

41st ANNUAL STATE CONVENTION

November 3 & 4, 2012

Ramada Plaza – Hartford Downtown

50 Morgan Street

Hartford, CT 06120

860-549-2400

General Information

It’s time to gather for the 41st Annual State Convention of the National Federation of the Blind of Connecticut. Each year we meet to share ideas, to inform, to instruct and to have fun with our fellow Federationists, families and friends. Our conventions include updates on topics of interest to us including new technology, division meetings, personal anecdotes, raffles, door prizes, vendors and much more.

Vendors

To be announced

 National NFB Representative:

Alpidio Rolón

President, NFB of Puerto Rico

Board Member, NFB

Hotel Information

The Ramada Plaza-Downtown Hartford is located at 50 Morgan Street in Hartford. It is conveniently located just off the intersection of Routes 91 and 84. Take Exit 32B from Route 91 or Exit 50 from Route 84.

Convention rates are $92.00 plus tax per room per night. Room rates apply to Friday and Saturday nights. Reservations must be made by October 24th in order to receive the discounted room rates. Call the Ramada Plaza at 860-549-2400 and mention that you are attending the National Federation of the Blind of Connecticut convention to reserve your room.

The City of Hartford operates a Star Shuttle which loops around the city, making several stops along the way. The train/bus station and the Ramada Plaza are both stops. The service will be running until 7PM on Friday and all day until 11PM on Saturday; there is no Sunday service. For more information about this complimentary service, go to www.cttransit.com.

Convention Agenda

On Friday evening, feel free to join our state affiliate Beth Rival and our NFB president & representative Alpidio Rolón in the hotel restaurant at dinnertime.

Saturday, November 3, 2012

Registration and a continental breakfast will begin at 8:00 AM. During our morning session, we will hear from Beth Rival, our State President; Alpidio Rolón, our National Representative; Brian Sigman, Bureau of Rehab Services, Board of Education and Services for the Blind; Carol Taylor, Retired Director of the Library for the Blind & Physically Handicapped; and Denise Merrill, Secretary of the State.

During our afternoon session, Noreen Grice will make a presentation about Mars. We will also have presentations about self defense, the Louisianna Center, a panel on leisure activities, and more. Steve Thal will also host a panel on emergency preparedness.

We will hold various division meetings during the afternoon also: the Diabetic Division will meet from 1:30-2:30, guest speaker will be Janet Schaefer, MBA,MS,CDE. The Guide Dog Division will meet from 2:30-3:30. The Student Division will meet from 3:30-5:30. And, Parents Division will meet from 5:30-6:30; children will create a craft project with Ellen Schumann.

Saturday evening begins at 7:00 PM with a banquet followed by our keynote speaker, Alpidio Rolón. Scholarships will be awarded, door prizes and raffles will be drawn. We will also hear the winning entry from this year’s Writing Contest.

Please plan to stay after the banquet to meet and greet our scholarship winners.

Sunday, November 4, 2012

At 8:00 AM, we will be serving a full breakfast, followed by our annual board meeting. We will be holding elections of all officer and two board member positions.

Please plan to join us!

Registration Form

(To print this form, open the Word attachment and print page 3)

Name ________________________________________________________________

Street ________________________________________________________________

City, State, Zip _________________________________________________________

Telephone: ____________________________________________________________

E-mail ________________________________________________________________

Please check the events you plan to attend, and the number of people attending:

______ Complete Convention Package: $45.00

______ Saturday and Banquet: $37.00

______ Saturday Only: $15.00

______ Banquet Only: $25.00

______ Sunday Only: $10.00

______ Vegetarian meals requested

______ No, I cannot attend the 2012 state convention, but I am enclosing a donation to the NFB of CT.

Sorry, we do not take charge cards. Make your check payable to the NFB of CT, and mail it with your registration form to:

NFB of CT

477 Connecticut Blvd, Suite 217

East Hartford, CT 06108

Registration deadline is October 23rd. People registering at the door will be charged an additional $10.00 regardless of meals desired. Save money, register by mail. All questions concerning meals, registration, etc. should be directed to our outreach office at 860-289-1971 or info at nfbct.org.

State Board Meeting

Sunday, November 4, 2012 from 9:00AM to 12:00 noon

·        Roll Call

·        Elections: Alpidio Rolón: All officer and 2 board positions are up for election.

·        Secretary’s Report: Nathanael Wales

·        Treasurer’s Report: Bruce Woodward

·        NFB-Newsline®: Betty Woodward

·        BESB: Betty Woodward

·        SRC: Gary Allen

·        ACAC: Bruce Woodward, Barbara Blejewski

·        Constitution Amendment: Nathanael Wales

·        Washington Seminar: Subsidy for 2009 was $170 for 4 days; Subsidy for 2010 was $100 for 3 days; No subsidy for 2011 or 2012. Voter for 2013 subsidy.

·        Location of January Board Meeting

·        New Business

·        Radio commercial for CT?

·        Chapter Reports: Greater Hartford, East of the River, Central CT, Shoreline, Norwalk, Southern CT, Danbury, Stamford