[Ct-nfb] FW: [State-affiliate-leadership-list] Over 1, 500 Signatures to Support Fair Wages for Workers with Disabilities

Elizabeth Rival erival at comcast.net
Thu Apr 4 16:58:05 UTC 2013

From: State-affiliate-leadership-list
[mailto:state-affiliate-leadership-list-bounces at nfbnet.org] On Behalf Of
Lewis, Anil
Sent: Thursday, April 04, 2013 9:14 AM
To: Lewis, Anil
Subject: [State-affiliate-leadership-list] Over 1, 500 Signatures to Support
Fair Wages for Workers with Disabilities

We continue our struggle to phase out the use of Special Wage Certificates
that allow employers to pay workers with disabilities less than the federal
minimum wage.  The Fair Wages for Workers with Disabilities Act of 2013 (HR
831), to repeal Section 14(c) of the Fair Labor Standards Act, has been
introduced and currently has 23 co-sponsors.  We have found a true champion
in our Sponsor, Congressman Gregg Harper of Mississippi.  We have developed
an online petition to assist us in our effort to demonstrate public support
and to promote public awareness of our Fair Wage issue.

To sign the petition, you should visit www.nfb.org/fair-wages-petition.

We would like to thank those of you who have signed the petition and
circulated the information to your family and friends.  To those of you that
meant to sign, but just forgot to get around to it.  Now is the time to get
around to it.  We currently have over 1,500 signatures on our petition, and
with your continued assistance, we should be able to get 2,000 signatures
before the end of the week.

It is not enough for you to sign the petition.  You should encourage your
friends, family, colleagues and classmates to sign as well.  Post the
information to Facebook.  Tweet about it.  Send emails to your network of
friends.  If you do not have an email address, find several people that have
email and ask them to go online and sign the petition.  Then encourage them
to encourage their family and friends.  Please consider other ways you can
spread the word about our struggle.

For more information about the Fair Wage issue visit:
http://www.nfb.org/fair-wages

Mr. Anil Lewis, M.P.A.

Director of Advocacy and Policy

"Eliminating Subminimum Wages for People with Disabilities"

http://www.nfb.org/fairwages

NATIONAL FEDERATION OF THE BLIND

200 East Wells Street at Jernigan Place

Baltimore, Maryland   21230