[Ct-nfb] Another Thought / Re: Northwest Hills Credit Union Login is inaccessible to the blind

Chris Kuell ckuell at comcast.net
Tue Jan 15 01:01:45 UTC 2013

The American's with Disabilities Act is full of intentionally vague
language, done so that companies and corporations don't have to comply. Many
do comply, but it's largely out of the goodness of individuals with power,
and not because they have to. If you doubt this, just look at Federal court
decisions in cases brought by people with disabilities and based on the ADA
over the last decade. Simply walk around your neighborhood and see how many
curb cuts there aren't, restaurants and hotels without wheelchair ramps, and
so on. It's not that the public doesn't care about PWDs, it's just that they
care about money more.

I think several people have made good suggestions here, and Jen should try
them. But, since this is a small credit union where she is probably only one
of maybe 2 or 3 blind customers, I seriously doubt they will do anything. I
recommend after they do nothing, she write an opinion piece for her local
paper, and send a copy to the mayor, local representatives, Better Business
Bureau, and the Attorney General's office. Finally, move your money to a
bank that has accessible online services. Sometimes it's better to reward
those businesses that respect us than fight those who don't.

Just my opinion.

chris