[Ct-nfb] FW: Read Across America: An Opportunity to Connect with Youth

Elizabeth Rival erival at comcast.net
Wed Jan 30 16:55:33 UTC 2013

-----Original Message-----
From: Shaheen, Natalie [mailto:NShaheen at nfb.org]
Sent: Wednesday, January 30, 2013 8:00 AM
To: Undisclosed recipients:
Subject: Read Across America: An Opportunity to Connect with Youth

Esteemed Federationists:

Read Across America Day and Dr. Seuss's birthday are fast approaching.
March 1 is the official day to celebrate this year, but Dr. Seuss's birthday
is actually March 2. We started participating in Read Across America Day
celebrations last year and will continue to do that this year. We are asking
for folks to submit videos and pictures that we can push out through various
channels to try to add Braille to the conversation about literacy that will
take place on March 1. You can learn more about the plan on the Read Across
America Web page<https://nfb.org/read-across-america>.

Today, I'm writing to encourage everyone to use Read Across America Day as
an opportunity to bring your local youth together to celebrate Braille. You
could do any number of things:

*        Have a birthday party for Dr. Seuss! Get every child to read a
passage from their favorite Seuss book. Have a birthday cake with "Happy
Birthday Dr. Seuss" written in Braille on top using M&Ms or some other
roundish candy.

*        Have a read-a-thon: find a comfy location, bring kids in, and read
read read!

*        Have an NFB BELL program reunion

*        Go to the public library on March 2 and have your local blind youth
join you in educating the public about Braille

*        Visit your local school's kindergarten class and read a Braille
book.

*        Have students re-write Dr. Seuss stories with Braille as the theme.
"One Dot, Two Dot, Red Dot, Blue Dot"

Don't like any of the ideas above? Dream up your own and then share them so
others can benefit from your genius!

The official Read Across America events are going on March 1, but since Dr.
Seuss's birthday is March 2 (Saturday), I think it's reasonable to celebrate
on either March 1 or 2!

If you want help dreaming up things to do with kids and Braille for Read
Across America Day, please be in touch. I would love to dream with you!

Yours in the Federation,
Natalie Shaheen
Natalie L. Shaheen, MEd
Director of Education
Jernigan Institute
NATIONAL FEDERATION OF THE BLIND
200 E. Wells Street
at Jernigan Place.
Baltimore, MD 21230
Email: nshaheen at nfb.org<mailto:nshaheen at nfb.org>
Phone: (410) 659-9314 x2293
Twitter: @nlshaheen
Fax: (410) 659-5129
Visit: www.nfb.org<http://www.nfb.org/>
"If they do not learn the way you teach, teach the way they learn"
--Anonymous