[Ct-nfb] Blind Babies and Our Purpose

Trevor Attenberg tattenberg at gmail.com
Tue Jul 16 01:11:00 UTC 2013

While I've not been to India, I know several blind federationists from
India. While I can say we have many things going for us in the U.S.,--in no
small part due to the work of the NFB-we should remember it wasn't long ago
that nearly all blind Americans were prohibited from attending adequate
public schools like sighted peers. Such an era lasted well beyond the
foundation of the NFB; and from the beginning, the NFB's main message has
been blindness isn't a tragedy. I did visit a school for the blind in
Vietnam. As you might imagine, career opportunities and social acceptance
there is quite limited currently, despite their being a number of blind
national icons. What blind people face there is basically the same as what
we see in the U.S. People don't think blind folks are capable of achieving
greatness; blind people cannot keep up in a modern world; blindness is a
debilitating punishment, etc. Thus, blind people around the world face the
same problems of perception as we do.

The strategy the NFB has always taken is to emphasize the potential and
capability of blind people rather than the obstickles and perceptions of
devastation and gloom that is too often the first thing people think. Thus,
I would say we could really do more by stressing a positive message of
blindness for the parents of the child, the senator, and the TV audience.
While the parents may have to struggle with the facts of having a blind
child in a country where there are few services and many fears surrounding
blindness, they and the child will benefit profusely from knowing their
child can achieve, and knowing they have a supportive community of
successful blind people there to offer what they can in terms of wisdom,
encouragement, and tools.

                This is what I was kind of tiptoeing around before after
getting the video message. While I am not opposed to curing cases of
blindness per se; this is really not the territory of the NFB at all. This
is more the territory of some medical charity or the Lions, and we're not a
charity in this way. As Justin pointed out, we're really treading on our
main goal and message by pushing such a political and media campaign. After
all, we and the Senator are not going to cure all the curable cases of
blindness in India, right?

Best,

Trevor A