[Ct-nfb] Braille reading contest

Elizabeth Rival erival at comcast.net
Thu May 30 14:39:48 UTC 2013

July 9, 2013

Dear Braille Readers,

          Now that school is over, we want to encourage you to enter the
National Federation of the Blind of Connecticut's "Braille Readers are
Leaders" summer reading program. The enclosed application explains the rules
and regulations.

          If you wish to participate, on July 15th begin keeping track of
pages read.  The contest ends on October 15th, White Cane Safety Day.

          Reading books can open up a world of adventure and discovery for
you.  Pick out a shady tree in your yard or a lovely sandy spot at the beach
and read, read, read - just like all the other kids.  We hope you will
participate.  We are sure your parents, Braille teacher and/or librarian
will help you select books if you wish and keep track of pages read.

          Have a wonderful summer, and we look forward to receiving your
application by October 21st.

Sincerely,

Betty Woodward,

Braille Readers are Leaders Contest Chairperson

BRAILLE READERS ARE LEADERS

July 15 to October 15

CONTEST ENTRY FORM

Student's Name_______________________________________Age______Grade_______

Address________________________________City____________State______Zip_______

Parent's Name___________________Home Phone _____________Work Phone_________

E-Mail Address_____________________________________________

Certifying Authority:
Name____________________________________________________

Position:      Parent [  ]             Teacher [   ]
Librarian [   ]

Address_________________________________City____________State____Zip________

Home Phone_____________________Work Phone________________________________

E-Mail Address___________________________________________

Category:  (Check One)

[   ]  Elementary School                     [   ]  Middle School
[   ]  High School

BOOK/MAGAZINE LIST

Book Title/Magazine Article              Author/Volume/Date
Braille Pages Read

To the best of my knowledge, this student did read _________number of
Braille pages between July 15 and October 15.

________________

Signature of Certifying Authority
Date

Mail entries to, or for more information:

Braille Readers Are Leaders Contest

National Federation of the Blind of CT

477 Connecticut Boulevard, Ste 217, East Hartford, CT  06108

Tel:  (860) 289-1971

PURPOSE OF CONTEST

The purpose of the National Federation of the Blind of Connecticut's Annual
Braille Readers are Leaders Contest is to encourage blind children to read
more Braille.  It is just as important for blind children to be literate as
it is for sighted children.  Good readers can have confidence in themselves
and their abilities to learn and to adapt to new situations through their
lives.  Braille is a valuable alternative to print for the blind child.
Yet, many blind children are graduating from our schools with poor Braille
skills and low expectations for themselves as Braille readers.  They do not
know that Braille readers can be competitive with print readers.  The NFBC's
Braille Readers Are Leaders Contest helps blind children realize that
reading Braille is fun and rewarding.  They discover that "Braille Readers
Are Leaders".

WHO CAN ENTER THE CONTEST

School age children from kindergarten through the twelfth grade are eligible
to enter.  A student will compete within his/her grade level category.  The
categories are:  Elementary, Middle and High School age.

PRIZES FOR THE CONTEST

The winner of the High School category will receive a two hundred dollar
($200) prize; the winner of the Middle School category will receive a one
hundred fifty dollar($150) prize; the winner of the Elementary School
category will receive a seventy-five dollar ($75)prize; prizes will be
awarded at the annual National Federation of the Blind of Connecticut
banquet of our state convention in November.

RULES FOR THE CONTEST

Winners will be chosen based on the number of Braille pages read.  The
contest entry form MUST be COMPLETELY filled out and received by the judges
no later than October 21.  With their entry forms, contestants MUST submit a
list of books and magazines they have read.  Please use an extra page, if
necessary.

CERTIFYING AUTHORITY

The Certifying Authority is responsible for:

.       verifying that the student has actually read the Braille material
that he or she reports reading and that the material was read between July
15 and October 15 (contestant may NOT count material read before the contest
begins);

.       filling out and sending in the contest entry form in an accurate,
complete and timely fashion.

Teachers, librarians and parents may serve as Certifying Authorities.  The
Certifying Authority must also be prepared to cooperate with the judges if
the judges have any questions or need additional information about an entry.

All decisions of the judges are final.

Sponsored by the National Federation of the Blind of Connecticut