[Ct-nfb] Legislative Update on Space Available

Justin Salisbury PRESIDENT at alumni.ecu.edu
Sun Sep 22 04:53:35 UTC 2013

Fellow Federationists:

        I am writing to provide you with an update on our efforts to expand the Space Available program to those individuals who have become one-hundred percent disabled as a result of their military service to the United States.  As you know, the House included our language, HR 164, in its version of the National Defense Authorization Act, which was passed in June.  We are still waiting for the Senate to consider its version of the defense bill at this time.

Senator Tester of Montana, the Sponsor of S. 346, has told us that he plans to offer S. 346 as an amendment when the Senate begins to consider the defense bill.  I am asking you to contact our Senators and urge them to join as a cosponsor of S. 346; building additional cosponsor support will signal to Senate leadership that this legislation should be considered as part of the Defense Authorization Act.

Currently S. 346 has eighteen cosponsors.  As more information becomes available on the Senate schedule, I will pass it along.  Below you will find Senate contact information for this issue.  Please contact the legislative staff person listed and urge them to join in support of disabled veterans.

Thank you very much for the work you have done on this issue to this point.  We are very close to achieving this legislative priority, and one final Federation push should get us there.

a.       Blumenthal, Richard
Legislative Aide: Jenna Spinks, 202-224-2823

b.      Murphy, Christopher
Legislative Director: David Bonine, 202-224-4041

Yours in Federationism,

Justin Salisbury

Justin M. Salisbury
Graduate Student
Department of Agricultural & Applied Economics
The University of Wisconsin-Madison
president at alumni.ecu.edu

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it's the only thing that ever has."    -MARGARET MEAD